Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cresting/Capping Arrows

Old 01-08-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Cresting/Capping Arrows

Well, I've recently tried this with spray paint, well because why not if you have a million arrows lying around, right?

Which kind of spray paint (considering that's what is used for painted on caps) do you guys use? I am mainly in a quandry between gloss or flat.

I have also stumbled upon something just to see if it would be kinda cool, and I really like it. If you guys want to try something cool, give one of these ideas a whirl.

One thing I do (other then a plain cap) is take the nock out, wrap dental floss around it first, and re-insert it. Make sure the floss is fairly long! Then you can twist it around the shaft, and give it a barber-stripe look, which is neat. Or you can try runing two strands out the end and making a criss-cross or an X pattern, it turns out really cool! You can wrap tape where you want the paint to stop or leave the tape of and let the over-spray give it a fade effect.

I have also taken automotive pinstriping (you can buy the stuff cheap at auto zone) and just put patterns on, painted the cap, then removed the pinstriping, and it can give youa really cool affect as well. You can also just apply pinstriping to an arrow after you cap it, or just apply it with no cap then refletch it.

I don't know about long term results with the pinstriping yet, all I can say is I have shot them and they fly well enough, as well as expected, even though I worry about the pinstriping peeling in flight.

Just some cool effects, I will post pictures whenever I get my digital camera fixed and everything, but it is neat.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:28 PM

Default RE: Cresting/Capping Arrows

That pinstripping idea is brilliant!! Never thought of that. I would recommend one of two paints....Krylon or Rust O Lium...Flat, don't want that sheen.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the good ideas
Old 01-08-2007, 07:38 PM

Yea I was excited when I came up with the pinstriping idea, lol. I thought it was fairly brilliant myself.

Curious as to why you don't want the sheen?

I do mostly, and I do mean mostly, target shooting. I bow hunt maybe two or three times a season. I love shooting my bow, but I can't stand hunting for too long, too slow paced, especially when you're using a bow. Maybe as I get older I'll develop more patience so I will be able to sit in a deer stand until after 10-10:30 lol.

I would think the sheen would make it a little easier to find arrows (not that I end up looking for them very often, which isn't anything to brag about by any means), but I also think they would look better, until they start getting dirty/scratched up.

I used chrome paint on a couple arrows and it was really neat too.

If you all have any other cool ideas, let me know, I've been trying a lot of new things.

You can also buy stickers for kids and/or at craft stores that are neat too. I used these things for a fairly funny joke. I got a hold of one of my buddies arrows, stripped it's vanes, put heart shaped stickers on it (outlines, not whole stickers) and gave it a nice pink cap on the arrow, peeled the stickers after the paint dried, and it was a very good looking arrow, for a girl lol. The black vanes were the final touch, where I put a little pink heart on the side of each fletching. So now he has an arrow that has a pink cap with a good fade, hearts all over it and pink hearts on his black fletchings.

If only everyone could have seen his face, I'm going to try to steal the arrow back and take some pictures, lol. He wasn't the happiest person about losing a dominator 300 (at least it wasn't an ACC!), but he did get a good laugh out of it. I'll bet he shoots better now
Old 01-08-2007, 07:43 PM

I just don't like sheen....no real reason other than that. The stencil idea is also brilliant! You've got some creative talent, no doubt. I want pictures! I actually like the pink cap idea.....

You could paint the base white, then use stencils and put a pink cap, or whatever color you wanted. Pink cap w/ white cutouts...nifty. Too clever.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:54 PM

lol. I have no artistic abilities, but I do some insane things when it comes to my bow. I'm going to have to take pictures now

As far as the pink cap goes, it would surely be hard to lose in the woods!

I thought about a base coat with pinstriping (I actually made an arrow that looks like a barbers pole by painting it red then wrapping it with floss, and painting it white. It actually looks like a giant candy-cane.)

I'm glad you guys actually like the idea. Well, at least one person does, no one else has said anything about it oh and it looks like sniper mayhave liked the ideastoo
Old 01-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here ya go... you might get some ideas from this: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1399868&mpage=1&key=capping%2ccr esting&#1399868