Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New Rest, kinda freaked out...

Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Rest, kinda freaked out...

"no contact" I wish my qad had that capability .
Old 01-08-2007, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88
Does anyone else get freaked out when changing rests? Sights, quivers, etc, no problem. But rests for some reason have me a lil jumpy
Not during the off-season......during bowhunting season, absolutely. Besides, you could always make the quick jump back to the old rest if things don't work out.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a new bow and I haven't tuned my APA on it yet, so that doesn't bother me too much. But, for some reason, just the anxiety of trying a new rest and potentially using it full time without knowing if it will hold up through a season gives me the heebie jeebies.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular rest? Pro's/Con's?A very reputable person on AT, Mike Carter, highly recommended them on Bowtechs.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

well i get freaked out anytime that i have to change anything on my bow so now you know that you are not the only one.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ijimmy
"no contact" I wish my qad had that capability .
I got alot of contact with my QAD as well.....couldn't shoot plastic vanes, had to shoot feathers which didn't both me. Feathers just don't hold up compared to plastics.

I switched to the Cavalier Avalanche rest and am very pleased with it.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

This is a new bow and I haven't tuned my APA on it yet, so that doesn't bother me too much. But, for some reason, just the anxiety of trying a new rest and potentially using it full time without knowing if it will hold up through a season gives me the heebie jeebies.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular rest? Pro's/Con's?A very reputable person on AT, Mike Carter, highly recommended them on Bowtechs.
I had the QAD Pro Series and liked it EXCEPT for contact on plastic vanes. Feathers shot MUCH better. As for tuning, it was easy to adjust.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:34 AM

One of the first things I do when getting a new bow shooting just right, is to make a jig that allows me to easily remove and replace the rest and start shooting bulleyes on the first shot.

It's simple and doesn't cost anything. I take a small block of wood and cut it into an "L" shape that rests against the riser and arrow shelf. I trim the wood to allow the arrow to rest perfectly in the corner of the "L". I make it slightly large to begin with and then I sand it to a perfect fit. All I need to do, is set the arrow on it (while nocked) and then adjust the rest to where the arrow is.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

One of the first things I do when getting a new bow shooting just right, is to make a jig that allows me to easily remove and replace the rest and start shooting bulleyes on the first shot.

It's simple and doesn't cost anything. I take a small block of wood and cut it into an "L" shape that rests against the riser and arrow shelf. I trim the wood to allow the arrow to rest perfectly in the corner of the "L". I make it slightly large to begin with and then I sand it to a perfect fit. All I need to do, is set the arrow on it (while nocked) and then adjust the rest to where the arrow is.
Very nice, can you take a picture of your jig to give a visual?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Muzzyman, I had a QAD Pro rest and loved it until sometimes I started getting "bounceback", where the rest came back up just enough to hit the fletching as it flew by. But other manufacturers have had that same problem. I've heard the QAD LD took care of that issue.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The LD doesn't bounce back. When the launcher goes down, it kind of sticks by some type of internal mechanism. Hard to explain, but it actually slows the launcher down just before it hits its bottom making it quieter also.

I powder tested and paper tuned last night after mounting it. I did have a little contact with the Blazers, but just rotated cock vane up and it resolved that issue quickly.

I really like the design. One thing I've made up my mind on was total containment. I will not shoot another hunting rest without it being total containment. Especially after using the APA the last couple seasons.

Of the people who used it, did anyone use the football thingy to attach the cord to the down cable?

Quick Reply: New Rest, kinda freaked out...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.