Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Muzzy ZE

Old 01-15-2002, 01:47 PM

Default RE: Muzzy ZE

I will give the first negative comment. I put one one a 6!/8 brace height bow, 29 inch draw and 64lb. pull and got terrible nock point travel. I worked and worked with it and could not fix it. It had to be set up extremely tail high to tear a bullet hole. I then put on a typical rest and set it up by sight and bullet hole. Others love it and work well but not on my bow. I set it up every way possible using the different holes in the rest it just wouldn't work. Maybe some one has an idea why.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:51 PM

I think it's the best out there and you should be able to get it for way less than a $100.
Old 01-19-2002, 02:02 PM

MZE rest for $72.99 at www.eaglearchery.com
Old 01-19-2002, 03:10 PM

Dylan,

As I get older the too many moving parts thing is less convincing than it used to be. The crap we used to have to put up with 20 years ago that just fell apart no matter how careful you were, is no longer a problem. Bows are only one thing, think of cars, they go forever these days, and they don't even need the first tune-up for several years. In any case the ZE may not have more moving parts than some of the golden key rests, there are a lot of little springs, nobs, and set screws in those things, and my Plt. Premier has never missed a beat.

The biggest problem I see with the ZE is weight, it is a significant chuck, and it is all in the wrong place.

The advantages are in the drop away concept that I think is going to get more play in the years to come, since it makes tuning easier, and costs more, that's a win-win for the retailer/newbie crowd.

The other advantage to drop away is that it that it makes it easy to shoot big feathers, and broadheads with carbon arrows, at huge speeds. That matters, its pretty much the whole reason that we have mechanicals at all.

The other big ZE advantage is just the way the set-up works out for hunters, not having to ballance the arrow on some little thing, or even have to think about it is a big plus.

Another neat feature that may or may not matter is that the drop away of the ZE is tailored to the forward motion of the arrow, this may have advantges over designs that are just on some inertial timetable seperate from what is happening to the arrow.

I would certainly prefer a less chunky rest, however if they can come up with it.

Remember the value of this design isn't tied to whether you can afford it or need it, if you have a cool set-up, that works for you that's fine, but it is an overly subjective criterion for judging the excelence of a product. But I agree there are lots of ways of getting good results.
Old 01-19-2002, 03:37 PM

You can cut most of the weight by leaving off the Muzzy aluminum overdraw bracket. It isn't needed unless you want an overdraw. I think that is where most of the weight is found on the MZE .

Edited by - bmurray on 01/19/2002 16:39:17
Old 01-19-2002, 03:51 PM

Is anybody using one on a cybertec or havoctec?