Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string making (pics post of jig, I think)

Old 01-01-2007, 09:05 PM

Default string making (pics post of jig, I think)

I've thought about trying to make my own strings before. It doesn't seem too terribly bad, has anyone done it (besides gibblet, whom I am about to purchase my next string/cable from).

I just want to do it just for the sake of knowing how to do it.

I was curious about a jig set-up. I have a buddy who works at a tool shop and could make anythingon a cnc or w/e I needed. I work at Bass Pro Shops, so I guess I could probably find a couple things out at work one day too.

Also, which string is best to use? I found Brownell online for sale (#4144x, #4445x, #447x, #5144x). What's the differences, etc?

Just thought this would be something cool to try to help me understand it more.

Any good videos out there for this?

Thanks for the great input I'm sure I'll receive.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: string making

I have just started making srtings too. I got a CD form bcy and followed it. It is a good start. Also talked with people from BCY & Brownell nice people willing to help, alsocheck out there web sites. Just made my 1st string and cables and going to try out this week. If it works good then im going to make one for my new Vectrix and if not i'll be buying one.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:37 PM

arrowmike- why not use the factory fuse strings? i hear good things about these, am i wrong?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Typical Buck

If you want to model a good string jig go to www.bowstringjigs.com. It is the one I use and it makes a fantastic string. One of the things that you really need if you can do it is to be ablel to make your servings while under tension. With the jig I am using it is able to put 300 lbs of tension on the string while I am serving . I just recently made a string and cable for a guy in the club that I belong to. It was for a single cam bow so it was a pretty long string and I always had trouble before making a string that didnt have trouble with peep rotation. Well this jig took care of that problem totally. It is good to be able to make your own strings. That way you can try different materials and find what works the best for you and your setup. I use mainly BCY materials myself but Brownell is a very good product also . So you couldnt go wrong with either of these products.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:15 AM

Like most anything, there are some details that can take years to pick up, but making a basic, suitable string is quite easy. There are several websites that detail the process and a few videos that will help even more. When I first started making them, I watched a video by Larry Wise, that was very good. It took me only a couple practice strings, before I was able to make a string as good as anything being shipped with a bow at the time.

One of the great advantages of making your own, is that you can take all the time you want and pay attention to detail like no stringmaker can. They have to make money, you don't.

Don't worry about what material manufacturer to use. Both are excellent. Besides, you will be hard pressed to even try all their products. There are so many choices, that a comparison is difficult for anyone. I've been using Brownell's Ultra Cam for years and am very happy with it. It has the least stretch of any material and that is more important to me than some of the other advantages other materials have.

Search the web, you will find a lot of info. Good luck,
Old 01-02-2007, 06:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

One of the great advantages of making your own, is that you can take all the time you want and pay attention to detail like no stringmaker can. They have to make money, you don't.
that's funny crooked arrow. not true, but funny. what details exactly can someone pay better attention to than i can?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:08 AM

I was just asked the other day why I didn't make strings/cables at my shop. I did a T&M study early in this career and found it to be very cost prohibitive. In fact, I just sold some string making equipment that one of my employees talked me into buying over 10 years ago.

Instead, we buy strings/cables from a few selectsources in very large quantities. We have such a large selection that we have other shops calling us from time to time when they need a particular length.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

arrowmike- why not use the factory fuse strings? i hear good things about these, am i wrong?
Yep, you are totally wrong. They "re-vamped" their string making process. They suck more than ever.
Just get a BuckNasty string, and worry no more.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:21 AM

If you are just looking to save money, call Lancaster Archery Supply. Their custom strings and cables are the least expensive available. The prices are not shown on the website, but the catalog lists the highest price as $17.99 for an 80" + string and $10.99 for a split cable. Just like Henry Ford, you can get any color that you want as long as it's black.

I don't think that I can build them for that evenif I don't consider the cost of my labor and my investment in a jig.

If you want to learn to do everything yourself like I do, then the Little Jon string jig is the Rolls Royce of jigs. However, you can do it a lot cheaper than that. Larry Wise told me that his first strings were made with a board and 4 nails and that seems to have worked out OK. I use a piece of uni-strut that I got at Home Depot for $15 and two heavy bolts with a drill bit stuck in the ends with the smooth end of the shaft showing. I have a BCY tensioning attachment on the way, but I don't really need it. Total investmentless than$100.00.

The Larry Wise Basic StringMaking video is the best one for a beginner. It but you may also want to get the videos from Brownell'sor BCY. They will show you how to make two color strings. There is also an new video available from George Ryals that hassome goodtechniques thatI haven't seen anywhere else. http://dvd.archerylive.com/ It's pretty expensive, but has a lot of other information about arrow building and bow tuning.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

I dont want to get off the subject of this post, but i was shooting with a guy last week with a new Vectrix it was set up that day. After shooting for 1 hr the serving around the cam was seperating already. My string on my bow now is over 1 yr old and looks better then his new fuse string!That does not tell me that they fixed there problem. Also look on here someone had a form about the new fuse strings LOOK AT IT!
I like the new hoyt bowsbut hate the fuse strings!!!!!

Quick Reply: string making (pics post of jig, I think)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.