Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string making (pics post of jig, I think)

Old 01-02-2007, 03:30 PM

Default RE: string making

ORIGINAL: gibblet

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

One of the great advantages of making your own, is that you can take all the time you want and pay attention to detail like no stringmaker can. They have to make money, you don't.
that's funny crooked arrow. not true, but funny. what details exactly can someone pay better attention to than i can?
It's not that you can't pay better attention to it, it's that you have to make money and the string simply has to work. If I want to re-do a serving 10 times, until it works perfect, I can and I will. If I put on a red end serving and decide after it's on, blue would look better, I can change it easily and quickly.

I can make a 14 strand string and compare it to the performance of a 16 strand string and it only costs me a few dollars. I can easily change cable lengths without adding too many or too few twists, by simply making an extra that is a different length.

If I decide that I want 500 lbs of tension when I serve, I can do it. I can try lots of different things to see how it affects performance or longevity. I a can also build myself a new one every 3 months for only a very low cost, or I can have a different color simply because the mood strikes me.

There are tons of little details that I have control over and I prefer it that way - greatly.

So Chiclet, is that enough for you, or do you want more?

Old 01-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

John, I am still amazed at your workmanship. Your work on the string for my Jennings is impeccable. I just have to get off my butt and send in the order for my Ultra Tech.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:19 PM

Wow, thanks for all of the input guys.

I'm not trying to do this to save money or anything, just wanting to do it for the sake of doing it and helping me better understand my bow. I like to know how to do everything, I do all my own work on my bow, so now I want to start making my own strings and cables for it too.

Thanks again for all the input.

Now what's everyones favorite string to use? I'm going to buy the cheap brownell stuff (like $8 a roll I think) just to learn to make them at first, not really actually use them, well I will use them, but not for very long I'm sure. Once I figure it out, I guess i'll buy some good stuff .

Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:25 AM

bent arrow - that's not what you said. your handle means you're supposed to be a straight shooter - so shoot straight. you implied that you, or anyone else for that matter, could pay better attention to detail- the fine detail of making a string than i do - because i'm doing it for money.that's just out and out wrong (though admittadly not in all cases in the world - but i'm talking about me here). its going to take someone 2 yrs at least of steady string making to even begin to realize the details they need to be paying attention to - that i pay very close attention to.no video has the techniques.there are things i can do on my machines that you can't do, and could never do the way you make them - i know - i've made them the way you do. what are these things - len helped me realize i don't have to tell everything i know.i'll leave it at theFACT thatthere are major advantages to having the string spin instead of wrapping a serving tool around it - like you do. you can't hide from the problems that causes no matter how tight you pull the string.just do me a favor and leave me out of your generalizations - i'm trying to do things differently here.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:46 PM

tehehe... i think what straight arrow is trying to point out is more for large string manufacturers that just spit out the strings, not a tedious and precise buisness like gibblet has
Old 01-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

I bought an apple jig years ago,and added the auxilary piece for longer single cam bows.I mounted it all on a 2x12 plankabout 10' long.I use BCY 452&450.I don't really make money at it,it's pretty much a labor of loveI have alot of bowhunting buds,and their wives that bow hunt,I build strings for.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:28 AM

So what's the continued name calling all about? Is this how a good business man presents himself on the web? Real professional! I also just love how your strings are better than mine, yet you don't have a clue how I make mine. That's an amazing ability you have there.

Look, I can see your full of yourself and that's okay. However, if you want to make it seem like rocket science and make it sound difficult, I'm going to give my opposing view. Just so you know, you couldn't pay me to use your strings, and it's nothing personal. It's because I want control over the many small details. When I get done making a string, they are as good as any I've ever used - including Winner's Choice.

As for details, there are many kinds, including funtional and cosmetic. Not every stringmaker is perfect like you. Some make mistakes and make less than the best string on occassion. It's a real pain in the rear having to deal with someone about a problem, rather than just being able to take care of it yourself. In fact, sometimes, there's a defect in the material and a problem occurs that has to be rectified, no matter who made it. It sure is nice to be able to do it yourself, especially if it happens during hunting season, or just before a tournament.

When I get done making a 100" single cam string, it won't stretch more than 1/8" in a years time. The servings won't move, separate or fray. If you use a peep, it won't turn. So, tell me, how are your's better?

In addition, I can control many small details. If I want end loops that barely fit over the pegs, I can make them that way. If I want a quick string, without serving the end loops, it's easy to make it that way. I like making my servings as short as possible and I can control that too. I've made a couple custom bows with bow parts that I had accummulated. I was also able to make a custom string and cable for these. If an end serving separates, I can re-do it, because I can't put the string under tension and re-serve it - even if it's the night before the season opens.

There are many advantages to making your own strings - many! You can continue with your sales pitch, but don't expect me to listen to it. Your full of bull on this one. I"m encouraging the OP to learn to do his own, because it's full of advantages. This thread was never about the quality of my strings vs. yours. It was about the advantages of a person making their own vs. buying someones elses. I stand firmly behind my views no matter how much you want to disrepect them.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:24 AM

arrow, i remember how you do it from an earlier discussion - that included mildot. i also said i get around problems that arise the way you do things by having the string spin, and i can also do things you can't - because i know your setup. it gives me advantages, besides speed.

there are a couple folks on this site, and on AT that i've sent a whole bunch of pieces, partially finished pieces in all stages so they could easily figure out how i do things. i'll help anyone who asks.don't believeme? i'll go get 'em. i'll also be honest.

if a person wants to learn how to build strings they can shoot for more than a week or two - its going to take some $ and a lot of time. its going to take some dedication. string material is expensive. i believe what you shoot is around $35-$40 a quarter pound (and that's 1 color).not sure if they sell it in any increment less than that. serving is expensive. the tools necessary to do a good job cost money, it all does, + time (which is money).

arrow, i learned it, so did you. we're probably a little more crazy about learning things than your average person, and then getting them the best. i think we both have that personality- and i can tell you do by the way you talk about your work (which i'm sure is very good by what you say- never doubting you a bit -i'm sayingi think you'd drop your jaw if you came down and watched me work - and then i think you'd throw me out of my chair to throw a string on the serving machine and go to it - you'd love it).

if you're not overly obsessive about your bow - and a bit crazy about learning things - like you won't let go of something until you master it even though it will take quite a while and some $, then string making is not for you - not when you can get them from any # of folks w/ a lot less headache. its neat, its fun, it costs money and takes up a fair bit of space. its real tedius work, and learning you spend a lot of time to throw stuff away.if you do get pretty goodat it - you'll have more friends w/ bows than you knew. if this kind of thing is a challenge that excites you - go for it - and i'll help.

arrow, am i saying anything that is not true?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 AM

arrow, am i saying anything that is not true?
I'm not sure it has anything to do with truth, more opinion than anything else. I happen to disagree with a fair amount of what you've said.

I think anyone can make a string if that is what they want to do. Time is money if it's a business, but not if it's a hobby. I'm speaking to the hunter, not someone in the archery business. Stringmaking isn't torture, it's enjoyable, especially for do-it-yourselfers.

Here's how I learned:

I spent a few days reading the absolute tons of existing info about it in forums and on websites. There are volumes written by some very experienced stringmakers. I also bought Larry Wise's video on making them.

I have a friend who is a machinist and he made me a very good jig. I made my first string 4-5 years ago. It didn't turn out that bad. It was for a single cam and is still in use today. I sold the bow to a guy who doesn't shoot more than 6-8 weeks a year and he's too cheap to buy a new one, in spite of my recommendations. There was some serving separation in the end serving on the cam side, and the center serving has been replaced. It was only a single color and the end knots were a bit bulky, making a rather bland if not ugly string, however it has had virtually no creep. A peep would probably not be stable, but I don't use one and neither does the new owner.

Anyone who couldn't make a string that was servicable for longer than 2-3 weeks on their very first attempt, missed some part of the basic instructions. It's really quite easy. By my third string, I was proud enough of the cosmetic quality to show them to experienced archers. It took a few more strings to get some things down pat, and to this day I still learn some new techniques and tips that make stringmaking a bit easier or quicker, but not better.

As for speed, there are lots of little techniques for getting more speed out of string. You can use a lighter/stronger mateial, fewer strands, shorter servings, smaller diameter servings, or material with more stretch. I've even read where making them under greater tension made for a faster string, but I have my doubts on that one. I've read about a few other things that don't come to mind right now, but that's because a bit more speed is never somthing I care about, so I haven't engrained those things in my mind. If it's important to a person making their own strings, they'll remember it when they read about it.

Will a guy be the best after a few strings? - Heck no, but he should be able to construct a stable string that will last a minimum of a year. And if a serving fails, he'll have to knowledge to fix it, on the spot. I started out by making quite a few strings for friends and eventually got to the point where I taught several local guys how to make them. They all made very serviceable strings right from the beginning. One of them now has a local part-time business making strings for many of the area shops.

As for cost, I once figured it at about $8.00 for a 100" string. I accumulated many color over time and it wasn't expensive. When I made a string for a friend, I told him that I would charge him $10 for my labor and I would put it towards new materials, so I could have more options when making future strings. Brownell also makes many tri-color string materials that make very nice strings for a very low investment. I think I made back my initial investment by the third string I made. It may take others a bit longer if they buy an expensive jig or want many different string colors. Still, in my opinion, it's worth it.

Over the years, I've read posts from many guys who made their own strings, and never once did I see someone express regret and decide to quit because they couldn't make a good one. If they quit, it was because of time. Virtually every post you read from a hobbyist stringmaker tells how satisfied they are with the strings they produce and how they love making them. This is a good testament that almost anyone can do this successfully and without a lot of aggrevation.

This is my experience, and it seems to differ greatly from yours. That doesn't make it wrong or untrue - just different. Let those interested in making their own, decide what to do. I'm certainly not going to discourage them or make it sound difficult or expensive when I don't believe that to be the case.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:35 PM

Quick Reply: string making (pics post of jig, I think)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.