Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String loop questions

Old 12-30-2006, 03:21 PM

Default String loop questions

With the new short ata bows does a long draw length (31") require a string loop to prevent excessive nock pinch?
Second if going to a string loop would the bows draw length need to be reduced?
If so by how much?
Reason for asking is I'm considering upgrading to a new bow, going from a 41" ata. And am contemplating what all I might need to change.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
David/Mo
Old 12-30-2006, 03:43 PM

Default RE: String loop questions

david, i'd think real hard before going too short on ata . 37" is probably about as short as you could go w/ that draw. a loop won't change the way the front of the bow fits you. the string will still come to the same pt - soif you give up1/2" of drawlength to accomodate a loopyou'll find yourself bending your bow arm (more if you already do) to get the string on your nose. generally what adding a loop does is change your anchor a bit.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:04 PM

I was thinking hard about the Hoyt Vectrix xl, I see its a 36" ATA. You brought up an interesting point about the string in relation to my face.
as far as my arm I shoot straight arm (I know old school). Just getting back into shooting after 10yrs out of it.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a 33" ATA Hoyt without a loop and the string pinch was pretty extreme at my 29.5" draw length.The arrow fell off the string a couple of times and I nearly dry fired my bow. I added a loop and it's definitely much better.

I think you'll be just fine with a 36" Vectrix XL with a loop. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:24 AM

i agree on the vectrix. you'll probably be fine, but shoot it first and don't cut corners in your evaluation. make sure the bow fits - or will fit w/ minor tweeking. you don't want to buy something where you have to crook your neck to get your nose on the string - or on an even shorter bow - where you have to be overdrawn by an inch or twoto get the front of the bow to fit. the string angle that causes nock pinch makes those shorter ata bows really tough to shoot consistently for folks over 5'7" or so.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:31 AM

Thanks alotfor the imput will keep these points in mind when I go to shop.
David/Mo
Old 12-31-2006, 07:52 AM

I sooo agree with Gibblet on this one. Going from that long of a bow to a newer shorter one and then adding a string loop will really change the way you shoot. You will have to re-learn your anchors because they will be different. It may also change your draw length, don't expect the new bow to have the same draw length as the old one and shoot comfortably.

If you currently touch the string to your nose when you shoot it will probably not happen with the new bow. In order to get it to happen you will have to have the bow closer to you and raise your anchor on your face quite a bit.

If you were looking at a newer bow with 31-32 inches of ATA that is a huge leap from what you have and may take some practice to get used to. If you get one, get it WELL before your season starts.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 12-31-2006, 09:15 AM

Gibblet makes a great point.I recently went from a 31"ata to a 35" With the 31"ata I didnt shoot a string loop because if I did I would have to draw past my anchor point that I had become comfortable with. However my draw is 27 1/2 or 27 depending on the bow.(some are longer than advertised) So string pinch wasnt that big of an issue for me. Now that i shoot a 35"ata i shoot a loop in order to have light string contact with my nose and the anchor that im comfortable withand alsodropping the draw length to 27" instead of 27 1/2.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:19 AM

One thing that wasnt mentioned. If you do decide on an ultra short bow I would go with one of the shorter designed releases.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Site Bouncer

I shoot a 34in AtoA bow with a 31in draw and I find the loop to be a big help with nock pinch. I also noticed that my 3/16in peeps would no longer allow me to view my sight clearly due to the increased angle of the bow string. This put my peep futher away from my eye. I switched to a 1/4in peep and it fits great (view of the sight through the peep).

Quick Reply: String loop questions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.