Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

brace height vs. A-to-A

Old 01-14-2002, 03:58 PM

Default brace height vs. A-to-A

Which do you think plays the biggest difference in forgiving shooting charactoristics? Ive always shot a bow with a brace height over 7 inches. Which do you think would shoot more forgiving? A 31" A-to-A with a 71/2" brace height, or a 36" A-to-A with a 6 1/2" brace height? Whats the brace height and A-to-A on your bow? Which do you think plays the biggest role in your accuracy?
Old 01-14-2002, 04:22 PM

Default RE: brace height vs. A-to-A

Ky,
I see you are still torn between the HavocTec and CyberTec! HAHA!! I know it's a hard decision. Heres my input:
Most people will say brace height. However, I cannot honestly say which one has the greatest affect on me. The reason I say this is because I shoot my HavocTec with the 31 1/2" ATA and 7 1/2" brace, just as good as I do my Vortec. The Vortec has the same ATA and brace height as this years CyberTec. I don't have a level on any of my sights either. I will say that I have noticed the Vortec was slightly, (and I stress slighty) easier to shoot, because it had a greater mass weight. I cured this problem by putting a slightly heavier stabilizer on my HavocTec. It solved the problem totally. I shoot a Enhancer 2000 on the Vortec, and a 7.5" Vibracheck Isolator on the HavocTec.
To sum this up, I think that if you are a pretty decent shot, then go with the bow that you really want. In other words, I think you will shoot them both about the same, if you have decent form. This is just my experience, and I'm no pro, but I have shot for years, and I've basically shot both bows. Last years Vortec had the same brace and axle to axle as the CyberTec. Good luck on your decision. I will be waiting to see what you decide!
Old 01-14-2002, 05:31 PM

Hey razorhunter, Do you know the exact weight of the cybertec? Youve been a lot of help. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:36 PM
Spike

I have always found longer axle length to be more of a factor than brace height. The more radical the inclined angle of the string at draw such as short bow long draw length, the more the string is able to oscillate on release. High let off makes this problem even worse because the bow becomes easier to torque. Draw length factors in too because the longer your draw the greater the angle in a given bow. In the example you have given I guarantee you will have an easier time being accurate with the 36" bow especially if your draw length is greater than 28". The 3-D and target shooters from my shop pretty much stick to this type of formula when they buy their equipment. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2002, 05:47 PM

The CyberTec weighs 3lbs. 12oz. according to the 2002 catalog.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:51 PM

Thanks Tribalscream, and congrats on becoming a moderator.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

My experience has led me to believe that brace height has a larger impact in regard to shooting errors when compared to axle to axle length.

Do a check...back a couple pages. There was a thread about this very issue and it was extensive....alot of disagreement though.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:45 PM

Ky,
I got to thinking more about this post and wanted to add a little more of my "neutral" advice. I say neutral because like most replies to this topic, it probably will confuse you even more! I understand totally though, because I have posted questions such as yours over the years, and mixed opinions only make you quesion your decision more.
In reference to me saying that my Vortec was "slightly easier to shoot", due to its mass weight: Please don't let this turn you off to the HavocTec. I really do shoot the HavocTec as good as my Vortec now. The 7.5" Vibracheck Isolator stabilizer that I added was all it took. This way, my HavocTec weighs about the same (maybe still a little less) than my Vortec. The HavocTec weighed 3lbs 4oz mass, and I'm not quite sure about my 2001 Vortec, because Hoyt did not list the weights in the catalog last year. However, I am sure the Vortec weighed about the same as the CyberTec.
In the end, I now have my HavocTec shooting just as good with the sligtly heavier stabilizer, and overall the bow weighs in about the same as my Vortec. I will honestly say that, believe it or not, the mass weight of the bows played more of a factor than canting the bow. At least with me it did. I think overall my HavocTec is still, ever so slightly lighter than my Vortec. Also, you would not believe how much tighter my groups got from switching to a drop away rest, but that's another topic in itself. I really love the length of my HavocTec.
I hope some of this helps you out a little, but I know how it is when you post a question like this. You know you are going to get mixed opinions that will only confuse you more, but it's still nice to hear from others, as opposed to not knowing at all! Again, good luck with your choice. Let us know!
Old 01-14-2002, 06:56 PM

Ky, if this bow will be your only bow, used for 3D and hunting, I would get the HavocTec. If it is going to be just for 3D and indoor shooting, I would get the CyberTec. Those would be my choices. Otherwise, I would bet the differences in shooting would be minimal, compared to the ease of a short bow for treestand hunting. Good luck deciding!