Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

questions

Old 12-28-2006, 11:57 AM

Default questions

I'm considering building my own arrows. I am wondering if its cheaper and easier just to have the arrows made at the proshop. I would like to get my hands on a good fletching jig to use for fixing bad vanes at home. The proshop I use it 50 miles from home. There is one closer, but the guy who owns and runs it is a total jerk.

I really wouldn't mind trading in my martin panther bow for a newer model. I know everyone on this message forum says to shoot several different bows until you find one that fits you the best. I live in a rual area. Trouble is, there's not THAT many models at my proshop.They carry Mathews and Martin. I really don't want to buy a bow else where, because I like the service and the people at my proshop. I would like to shoot a Tribute and possibly a Trykon. Would it be best to stay with this proshop, or should I try going to Cabelas or some place like that and for the bow and have my proshop set it up?
Old 12-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: questions

chief, I am just getting into making my own arrows as well.
I do not believe making your own arrows is cheaper than buying them from your proshop.
I do believe that making your own arrows gives you the freedom to make adjustments or try different things without being dependent on a proshop.
Do yourself a favor and at least get afletching jig,so you can repairany damaged vanes without traveling 50 miles.
Good luck and have fun
Old 12-29-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is great to do your own work. I dip and paint my own arrows and I love to shoot them. Many have asked where I got them done and I tell them I do them myself. They are not prefect but they are all me. I also have started doing ALL my own bow work. I built a drawing board and have a press and vice. I get my strings from Gibblet here so all I need the proshop for is getting the bow. My problem was the pro shops around me all have that attitude that "You shouldn't shoot that because it is crap. Buy this from me instead". I have NO tolerance for that and I just walk out. I like to do my own research and listen to people on here. I form my OWN opinions and that is the way I like it. I have shot a lot of different bows and I like Hoyt (FOR NOW). Next year I hope to get a newbow again (every 2 years) so I will be shooting a lot then. I would say that it IS worth it for you to go shoot a lot of bows.Iam sure your shopwill still take care of you. Maybe he will even consider carrying somedifferent brands. Here is a picture of the arrows I used this year. I just did 2 dozen for my son. One is the trad arrows below and the others I don't have a picture of here yet.

Matt's Trad arrows Carbon Express Heritage.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

There isn't a lot of difference in price for doing your own fletching in the short run. Over time it does pay and you get the satisfaction of customizing your arrows.

One problem with having a jig to repair "a vane" is that you may not have your jig set to the same angle as the factory or pro shop jigs so your repair job won't match up. The best course of action is to get the stuff you need and do your own from scratch. Then if you have to replace one vane (feather) then the angle will match.

As for bows, your shop has Martin? See if he has a Bengal or Pantera with M-Pro cam. Shoot one of these and you'll find you don 't have to spend a ton of money to get a quality bow. The Bengal runs about $400 and is really getting some rave reviews this year. Personally I like a little longer A2A so I've ordered a Pantera.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:32 AM

Depends entirely on how many dozen arrows you go through in a year. For one or two dozen it's not going to pay for itself.