Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

60 or 70# limbs?

Old 01-11-2007, 04:35 AM

Default RE: 60 or 70# limbs?

If you have pivoting limb pockets you probably won't see much of a performance difference between the 70 lb limbs turned down vs. 60 lb limbs maxed.
Just curious - what do pivoting limb pockets have to do with the efficiency of the bow?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:45 AM

you don't know?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

If you have pivoting limb pockets you probably won't see much of a performance difference between the 70 lb limbs turned down vs. 60 lb limbs maxed.
Just curious - what do pivoting limb pockets have to do with the efficiency of the bow?
Generally speakingit is said that a bow without pivoting pocketsis more efficient when the limb surface is fully bedded into the limb pocket, or at full poundage.

With pivoting limb pockets you are able to maintain limb pocket contact when you adjust the weight because the limb will stay fully seated inside the pocket when you adjust the weight up or down. Thus giving you all the efficiency of full limb to pocketcontact without having to draw full poundage.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:02 PM

Generally speaking it is said that a bow without pivoting pockets is more efficient when the limb surface is fully bedded into the limb pocket, or at full poundage.

With pivoting limb pockets you are able to maintain limb pocket contact when you adjust the weight because the limb will stay fully seated inside the pocket when you adjust the weight up or down. Thus giving you all the efficiency of full limb to pocket contact without having to draw full poundage.
That is not the reasoning I've read on why 70 lb limbs set to 60 are not as efficient as 60 lb limbs set at 60. It would seem to me that limb pocket design would have a lot to do with any effect seen. For instance, Martin has a simple limb pocket rocker that touches the limb in only one spot, no matter what the draw weight is set at. I can't see how a pivoting limb pocket would have any effect on this particular design (which by the way, is a very good one). In fact, I can't see how it would have an effect on efficiency with any design I can think of.

I would very much like to see the technical reasoning behind your statement. If you can point me to a website that can explain the phyiscs of this, I'd appreciate it. In the past, I've done thorough searches on this subject, but haven't come up with anything.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Spike

I'll see what I can dig up. I think it is more based on expert and design theory. The expert consensus is that a bow that has limbs fully seated in the pockets is the more efficient bow.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:37 PM

call larry wise - he told me.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:28 PM
8PT

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Strange that I just started a new thread asking these questions before I read this. Hopefully Len and some of the other well informed techs can and will give some answers and explainations on that thread.