Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BowTech Guardian/Commander observations

Old 01-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BowTech Guardian/Commander observations

ORIGINAL: Old/New

Len,
I live on Long Island (NY). Back in that day I got hooked up with a really good bow guy. He had many bows stocked with lots of draw length choices. This Jennings was listed as 26.5 though it does have a soft back wall. A Jennings 26.5 may not have been a "real" 26.5 as measured by your tool admittedly. But he was careful measuring archers and I remember him saying often, "the bow you're using is too long for you", to many ofthe shooters that used his range.

Regardless, I know when I go into a bow shop and shoot a bow Iwill not settle for one that is too long a draw. That brings up the question of which bows are listed accurately as far as their draw lengths are concerned? Where do I start? I expect the shops will have few short draw bows to shoot. Am I wrong?

Thanks again for the info.

Old/New,

Try getting in touch with Rack-attack on here. He's got a shop on Long Island called the Archery Forum...
Old 01-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

The center pivot design has unique characteristics.For one, the load distribution is controlled better in various axis. The pivot point serves also to contol cam lean.
Thanks Len. I believe that was exactly what I was looking for. In other words the fact that there is support in two places along the limb, the pocket and the center pivot, rectifies several issues that a shorter, stiffer limb without the center pivot could not.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:23 PM

Len in Maryland:

Regarding your statement: "
7. While it can be let down and disassembled without a press, care must be taken in doing so. If you're not careful you can either pull some threads out of the end of theriser or 'pinch' your fingers severly.[:@] There should be a press available within weeks that will handle both this design and the PSE/AR short-limbed bows.

Could you specify a little as to the concern?Do you mean pull threads by attempting to tighten/increase poundage?I'm not sure I understand the problem in releasing/relaxing the limbs - unless there could be a stripping problem when attempting to tighten back up.

Sorry if this is a stupid question - I recently ordered a Guardian, partlybecause I liked the idea of being able to relax the limbsif necessary on an obscure out of the way hunt. I'm just not sure how you could strip them unless you really got on the wrench and applied major force - am I way off? Secondrelated question - how easy is it to replace thelimbs? If aguy were to purchase a "spare set" of limbs, a few keys, and havea spare string/cables set up with peep, etc ready to go -it would in theory negate needing a back up bow - as long as you don't need to be a tried and true technician to get the thing back together - what do you think?

Thanks,

Brian

Old 01-05-2007, 04:22 PM

Being able to relax the tension on these bows is really for field servicing i think.You really have to take out a lot of turns just to get the tenion loose enough to makepeep change.Can you imagine how many turns it would take to change strings and or cables? In which lies the problem of popping out threads in the riser if you take to many turns out Ithink.Hope i amright.shops are gonna need a press for these bows or they will be a real pain in the a$$.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:48 PM

ORIGINAL: newman1

Being able to relax the tension on these bows is really for field servicing i think.You really have to take out a lot of turns just to get the tenion loose enough to makepeep change.Can you imagine how many turns it would take to change strings and or cables? In which lies the problem of popping out threads in the riser if you take to many turns out Ithink.Hope i amright.shops are gonna need a press for these bows or they will be a real pain in the a$$.
Turning the limb bolts out or in on a Guardian has to be experienced to be appreciated. A 5 year old kid could do it easily, IMO. Sure it will take many turns to get the weight backed off but there are "inspection" holes that are drilled about a 1/4" back across the ends of the riserthat allow you to see when the end of the bolt is nearing the end of the threads. I think a field kit for the Guardian in the mountains on an expensive hunt would save worring about a back up bow or a pocket press. A pair of limbs, string and cables and a few wrenches would only weigh about 5 ounces andeasily fit into a day pack