Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do strings dry rot???

Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default Do strings dry rot???

Hello,

I bought an inexpensive Bear Bow in 1995 in Indiana. I used to to do lots of deer hunting in Indiana. I moved to Florida and found the heat too hot to hunt; however, after being here for several years I think I am ready to try hunting in the heat.

I had my bow in the attic for about 8 years. Will the heat in an attic cause any problems on the bow? Like string rot? Should I get the bow serviced or am I ok just to take it out and start shooting it?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 12-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Do strings dry rot???

Get that thing checked out for safety sake. The best way to get out of the hunting mood is to have your bow fly apart on you!!!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never seen one "dry-rot", but being synthetic material the heat of an attic an't be good for them. And 8 years is way too long for any string anyway, heat or no heat.

Id take it and have it looked over and if everything else checks out then restring it---cables and all. The normal recommendation these days is to replace the rigging about every three years.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks the the advice. I will take the bow to the store for an inspection, string replacement, and tune up. I just found a nice archery store in town so it will be good to give them some biz.

Thanks,
Chris