Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BUILD THE PERFECT BOW!

Old 12-17-2006, 07:52 PM

Default BUILD THE PERFECT BOW!

I was wondering. What do you guys desire in a bows design?

Axle to Axle
Brace height
Weight
Grip
Limb design
cam design
riser geometry

I firmly believe that these days all the top bow manufacterers are producing fast queit vibration free bows. You cant really put one in front of the other. It all comes down to preference. In this post im not asking you to refer to a bow that already exists. however you can throw in some things that previous bows have. Just give the specs of your ideal bow and explain why you desire this and dont be afraid to ramble a little bit and throw in some stuff about other bows that are close to the design you want.

Lately i noticed 2 bow designs that were really different. The pse machX and the bowtech guadian. The pse has extremely short limbs. 9" im pretty sure. However this isnt what really caught my eye but the fact that its had a riser that wasnt reflexed but still gave a very short brace height of 6 1/2" due to the short limbs. Now a 6 1/2" brace is way too short for my preference but ill explain why this caught my eye when i tell you about my perfect bow. The bowtech guardian has a riser that is split and is hard to really be classified as reflexed or deflexed. The end that connects the the end of the limb is at a reflexed angle and the split portion that connects to the middle of the limbs has a deflex geometry. However I believe that i would still classify it as a reflexed design, but i havent shot it and dont know which characteristics it shows the most of. The reason i brought this up is because both of these designs would be incorporated into the perfect bow for me. Here goes........

33" ata
7.75" brace
3.7 pounds
slim grip( similiar to the pse)
split limbs(same design as guardian)
The riser would be the same design as the guardian but a truly straight riser without reflex. The split portion would be at a deflexed angle connecting mid way to each limb. The limbs would be around 8 1/2" at a parallell anglegiving it the desired brace height i want of about 7.75 inches, which would be forgiving but have speed potential. I believe speeds of 315 ibo could be achieved with bowtechs binary cam design. Hand torque would not be a problem due to the riser design and slim grip.The brace height would be forgiving and I wouldnt have to worry about arm slap with tons of clothing on in the winter and the speed is plenty enough for anyone. A 33" ata is ideal for me. Thats my perfect bow.

Lets hear your thoughts. Be realistic when its comes to speeds compared to the brace height plz. Who knows, some of the big guys could see this and end up producing your dream bow some day, so fire away.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BUILD THE PERFECT BOW!

Newberry B1
End Of Story!
Old 12-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

32" ATA
55-65 lbs
7.75 BH
3.75 lbs wgt
452x strings
optional grip styles ( side plates )
parallel limb design

AND A DAMN RETAIL PRICE UNDER $650.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My specs certainly won't be mainstream, but here they are anyway.

37-38" ATA
7.5-8" brace
Barnsdale limbs
redesigned CPS cam system, enough of a valley to relax some, but not enough to get sloppy
mass wt. about 3.75-4#
Stainless steel stabilizer inserts, front and rear
452X string and cables, well made and served so aftermarket strings are not needed
Grip, like a Darton Tundra, but with thin wood sideplates instead of the Pachmyer rubber ones (took those off anyway).
Old 12-18-2006, 05:01 AM

"perfect", will depend on what it's being used for. For instance, a "target" bow, can be heavy, long, ugly, loud and many other things a hunter might shudder at.

I'll guess that we're talking about a hunting bow. For me, it's a combination of length vs weight. Shorter is never better, unless you are shooting from a very cramped area or the bow gets too heavy to be comfortable. Minimum shootable ATA will have a lot to do with draw length. Optimum ATA will be related to anchor points, especially if you don't use a peep. Bottom line - it's different for people. No one ATA works for everyone.

I really dislike the parallel limb design bows. Besides being ugly, the longer ATA ones have such heavy risers. There are days when I walk quite a few miles with my bow and the heavier ones are simply more of a pain in the butt. Walk a day with a long parallel limbed compound and then a day with a longbow, and the extremes can be felt - literally.

Bottom line - in a hunting compound, I want a longer ATA with a short riser, 8" brace or more, shorter riser, a cam that gives me a smooth draw cycle and straight nock travel. Unfortunately, I'm not even sure they make such a compound anymore. Bows are being designed to shoot an arrow faster than the other guy's bow and to have absolutely no forward recoil on the shot. Both of which I care nothing about.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Axle to Axle 35-37 inches
Brace height 7 inces
Weight 3 1/2 pounds
Grip darton or merlins grip
Limb design solid , laminated , recurved , like merlins carbon
cam design hybred ,like dartons cps
riser geometry deflexed

My merlin quest 35 is damm close

Old 12-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

For hunting my "ideal" bow would be:

ATA: 36-37"
BH : 7 1/4"
Slim Grip (similar to Hoyt's 2003 model year grips)
Laminated Parallel split limbs
Hybrid or binary cam design (ultra hard back wall similar to a spiral cam, but without the short valley or aggressive draw cycle)
Reflex geometry

A great set of strings would be a welcome addition.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:10 AM

For hunting my "ideal" bow would be:

ATA: 36-37"
BH : 7 1/4"
Slim Grip (similar to Hoyt's 2003 model year grips)
Laminated Parallel split limbs
Hybrid or binary cam design (ultra hard back wall similar to a spiral cam, but without the short valley or aggressive draw cycle)
Reflex geometry

A great set of strings would be a welcome addition.
yep save me some typing their !
Old 12-20-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TerryM

32" ATA
55-65 lbs
7.75 BH
3.75 lbs wgt
452x strings
optional grip styles ( side plates )
parallel limb design

AND A DAMN RETAIL PRICE UNDER $650.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Those specs are VERY close to an Elite Synergy.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

PA , and 98 , pearson made a bow last year ,that fits those specs .
It was called the passion

Quick Reply: BUILD THE PERFECT BOW!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.