Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Technique question - missing right & left

Old 12-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Technique question - missing right & left

I used to have the same problem and I was assuming that something was wrong with my bow. Turns out, it was me. the farther away from the target I got, it seemed I started torque my bow. I guess I was concentrating harder and trying to move as little as possible and I was tensing up. I have since corrected my grip, and all is well. Could be your problem too, as opposed to something wrong with the bow, which makes it an easier fix!
Old 12-19-2006, 01:45 PM

Do you have a level on your sight? When I pull up, I'm always surprised at how far my bow is torqued once I've checked the level.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most of the time for me it's my arrows.# the arrows and make some charts and see if it's them and not you.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:39 PM

Thanks so much for the help, guys!

Matt, I really appreciate the very detailed description of the grip and shot technique. Especially since I have no "formal" training and have been learning everything I know from this forum. The bow sling is on my X-mas list and I think it will definitely help as well.

As for the anchoring point (string to nose), those pictures were taken soon after I took up the sport last Summer and my anchoring points were not very well established at the time. I conciously put the string on the end of my nose each time now. But thanks for pointing that out. It tells me you guys are paying attention to the details.

Another question. I've seen many timeswhere people recommend shooting with back tension, but I'm not really sure what that means. Can somebody please explain?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Back tension is basically using the muscles in your back when holding at full draw....picture trying to pinch a dollar bill between your shoulder blades when at full draw...these are the muscles you want to use. I'm sure someone else will be able to explain it better.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:53 PM

Browning 1 does describe it well using the large back muscles to draw your release arm back instead of punching a trigger. Back Tension pullsyour finger against itslowly squeezing until the arrow is shot. All the while your concentration is on your target. Your release may not be the type that's back tension friendly but you get the picture. Another idea is your arms' muscles are as relaxed as possible through the shot with back tension. A flex muscle in your arm will move around more than a relaxed muscle will.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:27 PM

Makes sense, I'll try that. Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

The muscles that you use to hold the bow back at full draw and keep it from creeping forward are the same muscles you use to squeeze the trigger off.This was the explanation that made it click in my mind.

Back tension is hard to learn and you need a true back tension to understand the feel.They really aren't that expensive ( some are )and are a great teaching tool.

www.lancasterarchery.com I have the T.R.U. BALL TRU TENSION ULTRA 3 FINGER and it works great.It is $49.95 and that really isn't that bad.Especially for what it can teach you.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back tention is a term used for many diferant releases , and methods of form .
It meens diferant things to diferant pepole , dont get hung up on it , many have an obsesion with it .