Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to determine DL ?

Old 12-18-2006, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to determine DL ?

The wingspan method will get you close , and close is not good enough , its a starting point . Go to a good pro shop and get it dialed in dead on , many still to this day shoot too long a draw length , a 1/4 inch will make a big diferance .

As far as straight arm ,vs bent arm , you will get many varing oppinions on that , even amoungst the pros , shoot what feels best to you , I am more consistant with a slightly bent arm , for taget and hunting
Old 12-18-2006, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

According to my level 4 coach,I am off about an inch from the wingspan method and if memory servesI know of acouple pros that also do not match up to the wingspan method.

I believe Erig Griggs and Michael Braden both said they didn't match up with it.

That is true. It doesn't work for everybody. Not everybody drives a Chevy pickup truck either. There are variables in everything in life. But it's a lot closer than the 2-3" too long that most people are shooting because they know no better. And that is, again, why I always suggest bows adjustable for draw length until a person is sufficiently experienced to know for sure just what he should shoot.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

According to my level 4 coach,I am off about an inch from the wingspan method and if memory servesI know of acouple pros that also do not match up to the wingspan method.

I believe Erig Griggs and Michael Braden both said they didn't match up with it.

one of 3 things is going on here
1: ONE ARM IS LONGER THAN THE OTHER
2: shooting with a bent arm
3: shooting with a kisser button offset from the nocking point, IOWshooting with too long of a DL but compensating with the kisser slid further down the string to make up for the added DL.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Papa.there is no kisser and draw length can vary according to the release that is used.

I can change my loop length to adjust for my release.

This particular coach has coached 3 or 4 youth shooters to WORLD records.He KNOWS what he is doing.

I do agree that there is a variety of opinions to which is better,straight or bent arm.I shoot a straight,but relaxed arm.

I am a 27 1/2" draw according to the wingspan method but there is no way I can get proper form at that length.I must shoot 28 1/2" draw to maintain proper form.I could possibly go down to 28" on a hunting bow just to achieve some more clearance but I don't have a problem withthat.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a bow late summer andI had my bowshop measure me up with thier bow that has the ruler arrow on it. It said my draw length was 26" which I thought was kinda short. Well I think it was because I was a wuss at the time and had never drawn back a bow properly. Now that I have been doing a ton of practice and quite a bit of hunting I feel like its too short. The wingspan method says I should be at 27 1/2". Im gonna have my bow shop adjust it a bit and see how it feels.

Bigpapascout Thanks for posting that chart
Old 12-23-2006, 10:34 AM

Wrong
Why, a little more info.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:38 AM

So bigpappascout you are suggestinr the arm holding the bow be locked straight out?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:18 PM

Bigpappascout, I have been asking around about bent arm or straight. It has bothered me ever since you posted the answer "WRONG" without any verification of why. It seems to be personal preference. One response I got was of a photo of two top shooters. Each with a different shooting style. You guessed itone bent and one straight. It seems that someone needs to inform the guy with the bent arm that he is WRONG and needs to be changing it if he wants to get anywhere in competitive archery.
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=08F3002W020136&start =0&album=0&adjust=-1

Old 12-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ash

You posted it was the right way to have the arm bent,that is what was wrong.

Most coaches are teaching straight but not all,it does come down to personall preference.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:37 PM

So having your arm bent isn't wrong, itwas the fact that I said it was the right way?

Quick Reply: How to determine DL ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.