Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Recommendations please

Old 12-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Recommendations please

My brother wants to start bowhunting. He's looking to purchase his first bow.He's 40 years old. Actually his wife called me looking for my advice (Christmas present). I have a couple ideas in mind, but wanted to get some input. Not looking for a $1000 setup. Just a good solid starter bow that will last him2,3,4 years or so to see if he is going to stick with it. Then he can upgrade from there if he gets hooked like I'm sure he will. What would you recommend? Thanks for your input.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Recommendations please

One of the higher end Dartons. Saw an 05 the other day at Gander mnt. for 299. Very much like a Hoyt except for the solid limbs and the draw stop was beefier. The grip was also larger but fit me well. 74 lbs. was not tough to pull. When I first grabed it it was at 55. Don't know the range of them, but that's pretty big. I'd make sure it was adjustable what ever it is. I've also had good service from them.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:09 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Look into martin bows, they last and shoot great, and wo'nt cost a arm and a leg. Rich
Old 12-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

i started with a reflex highlander this year. never shot a real bow in my life. ordered the "ready to hunt" package from huntersfriend.com. all i can say is i love the bow and the package. i upgraded some stuff in the packed..like the release...6 muzzy heads, 6 more arrows but even stock that package will get someone shooting with a target. i just knew i needed more heads and arrows and wanted a better release...the accessories that come with the package are all pretty good..not top shelf..but not bottom barrel and work great..bow is great...easy to shoot..relatively fast and forgiving, quiet, low shock...just a good bow to get my feet wet..for the money you cant beat it....and once you get used to shooting it its not a bow that you say "man i wish i bought a better one" with archery i think its best to kinda shy away from the lower end stuff...i think they would be hard and comlicate the learning process of becoming proficient..
Old 12-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on how much you are planning on spending.
you will also need to consider the cost ofaccessories and arrows.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

I know it takes the edge off it being a Christmas present, but take him to a local Pro-Shop if possible and get him "fitted" for a bow. There are some really good mid-range bows out there. The key IMHO is to get one that suits him. It'll be much more enjoyable than having an ill fitting bow.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:55 AM

Here is the best advice anyone can give. Wrap up a big box with a note in it that says 1 nice hunting bow. Then she takes him shopping to go get it. SO he can get a bow that feels right and he is comfortable with regardless of what company makes it.

I personally shoot Hoyt bows but I am not going to tell you to get him a Hoyt because it may not be the bow that feels the most comfortable for him.

That is my two cents
Old 12-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are several great shooting reasonably priced bows. I personally own a Reflex (grizzly – more on the budget end) and Matthews (switchback – more on the upper end). Really, the best thing he can do is shoot several bows and just see what he likes.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:35 AM

Virtually every bow can be made to shoot very accurately. The question becomes, "how many features do you want to buy". Some things cost more that don't actually contribute to better shooting. For instance, higher-end materials that last longer, better machining, latest designs, the "biggest" name and silencing features, to name a few.

The real keys are - proper draw length, proper draw weight, a brace height that allows the string to clear the heaviest jacket that will be worn, an ATA that is long enough to allow some forgiveness for a beginner and a grip that allows an easily repeatable position (grip comfort means little). If a hunter can get all this, they'll have the potential to shoot as well as they're capable of, regardless of how little the bow costs.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you are looking for a package deal , bowtech , parker , and alpine , all have package bows at reduced cost ,

Quick Reply: Recommendations please

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.