Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletching your own vanes

Old 12-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default fletching your own vanes

Ok i am trying to learn how to fletch arrows. I have a arizona fletcher and when i tried use it i had either to much glue our not enough becuase they would fall off when i shot them. I need some help on perventing this. Can anyone tell me how to either get the right amount of glue on it our get the extra glues off. Our can someone help me on how to do it right our somthing?
Old 12-12-2006, 05:32 PM

Default RE: fletching your own vanes

What arrows and glue are you using? Are you cleaning the shafts first? Do you have the jig set correctly, so the vane is lying flat on the arrow?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i tried fletch tite and instant gel by bohning and either there is to much coming out and ther is to much extra and it still does not hold on the arrow our there is not enough. I do clean the arrows and the jig is right.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:29 PM

You just have to get the right rythym.....running a consistent bead w/ the gel is an art form....I've NEVER heard of a vane not sticking because of too MUCH glue though.....

Try a cyanoacrylate style glue, like Pine Ridge, Quantum XT, or just plain old super glue.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 AM

KZ,
You using carbon or alminum?? . I like wraps when I fletch and also like Bohning Platnium glue. The wraps seem to really keepthe vanes on really well. Ya , just practice so glue makes a thin strip from top to bottom.
Good Luck
Old 12-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr
I've NEVER heard of a vane not sticking because of too MUCH glue though.....
I never heard this either. Clean the shaft off really, really well with acetone or rubbing alcohol to where the shaft is really smooth. Put a good thick bead of glue on the vane and attach it to the shaft. After you get it attached to the shaft, take your glue and put a small bead at the tip of the vane to keep the tip down really well. I sometimes even put a small bead around the outer edge of the vane as well and thin it out with a paper towel. Put a good amount of glue on the vane when attaching, if you put too much, you can always wipe a little off.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I first fletched arrows, one of the tricks I learned was to apply the glue to the fletching, and then I take the fletch and dab it on a piece of paper towel, which just leaves a thin film of glue. They stick really quickly and stay stuck. I have done this with blazers and feathers, and it seems to be working verywell for me. Too much glue is often the culprit of not sticking. Also, as others have said, make sure to clean the arrow with some alcohol before fletching.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:49 AM

I also add a drop of super glue to the front tip of each vane. Its a bullet proof set up when using a rest like the Whisker Bisquit
Old 12-14-2006, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

How to get the right amount of glue? Practice, baby, practice. And another thing. Do not clean your shafts with rubbing (isoprophyl) alcohol. Rubbing alcohol has oils in it and will leave an oil residue on the shaft. And we all know that nothing much sticks to oil very well except dirt. Instead you can use denatured alcohol or 91% alcohol which should be aavailable at any drug store. Acetone works well, too, but don't soak your arrows in it as it can destroy the resins that hold all those carbon fibers together.

Something else you can do is sand the shaft lightly where you plan to fletch them---before cleaning. This will give the shaft a slightly rough surface for the glue to adhese to. I used to use 400 grain sandpaper, but these days I use Scotch-Brite.

And if all else fails then just wash the shafts with soapy water, rinse well and let dry. For glue I use Fletchtite Platinum on all shafts. Super glues are faster, but can become brittle in time and are a bit%h to scrape of the next time you do the job. In the end you just need a dab at each end of the vane (spot-gluing) as has been mentioned.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK i have tried everyway that you all have said and it still did not look that good. I can not get the extra glue of the arrow. The glue that comes out from under the fletching wen i put it in the fletcher. I tried the paper towel thing and everything and it still did not work to well. Now i dont know if they are going to stay on but i know that they dont look good. The only one that looked good was the one i used the gel on. I came out and looked good but when i tried to wipe the glue off the paper towel stuck top it.

Quick Reply: fletching your own vanes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.