Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

the wall

Old 12-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default the wall

ok guys i think i am doing something wrong. I talked to a great tournament shooter about my shooting form. He told me about "the wall" that you can feel when you pull back a bow. He told me to pull the bow as hard as i could and go past the wall. i never thought about this before, so when i went and shot last night i tried it out. Well, it didnt work so well for me. When i went past the wall i couldnt hold the bow steady and i was wobbling all over the place. Also, the string even hit my arm a few times, which i have never done before. I made sure my arm was still bent a little bit, so i have no clue what i was doing wrong. Do you guys actually draw past the wall? And if i should be, do i have a problem with my form?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:42 PM

Default RE: the wall

IMHO your form has changed or your draw length is too long to have the string now start hitting you.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't. Could never be sure I'd be in the same place.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:35 AM

I heard or read somewhere not to draw past the wall , could cause damage to bow . I'll try to dig it up . Sorry to hear your string slapped your hand , I hate that[:@]. You could try a low wrist postion on your bow hand . So grip is on your thumb and palm bone instead of between your thumb and pointer finger , if thats where it is. Thats what I did. Slight bend at elbow , low wrist position, shoulder down and relax.Im rambling, good luck
Old 12-13-2006, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

How well were you shooting before you talked to this guy? If you were grouping well at your comfortable distances I personally wouldn't change anything, (if it ain't broke don't fix it).
Old 12-14-2006, 01:46 AM

I second that . Some will say someones form is off, but when I see repeatable accurate arrow grouping Id say dont change a thing
Old 12-14-2006, 06:57 AM

I sometimes have trouble with creeping or letting my bow arm soften which is very bad for accuracy. When I catch myself doing that I will pull tight into the wall, but I don't pull past the wall. Thatuses uptoo much energy for tournement shooting. Also, pulling past the wall would create a lot of muscle tension that is usually the source of poor accuracy. He may be able to do it, but I think that it is not practical for almost everyone else.

The better tournement archers that I know (I'm not one of them - - yet) strive to find the most relaxed execution possible.

I think that you may have misunderstood what he was saying.