Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletching feathers

Old 12-11-2006, 04:04 PM

Default fletching feathers

Greetings all,
Been fletching my own arrows for a few years now andalways have used vanes, I thought about trying feathers for next season, my question is, compared to fletching vanes how much more difficult is it to fletch feathers. I use a bitz with about 4 deg hel. Is the feather base about the same size as on vanes?? Im a stickler when it comes to a nice clean fletch and I use Bondini Super Glue Gel, with feathers it seemedthe excess glue would get on the feather itself if you were to wipe it off as I do with vanes. Any comments appreciated thanks....geo
Old 12-11-2006, 05:34 PM

Default RE: fletching feathers

There's just really not much difference, except I would let the glue dry longer before taking the clamp off...feathers like to curl up....

Better yet, use Bohning fletching tape....That stuff works amazingly well, and there is no dry time.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

I have had the problems with Cyano-acrylate gels on feathers that you mention, but feathers aren't harder than vanes just different. I went shopping last summer and picked up as many different types of glues as I could find and tried them on my feathers; a somewhat expensive proposition mind you, but I use super glue for all types of things anyway. The ones that I didin't like for fletching were used around the house on things the kids break regularly and others went with me on hunting and fishing trips to seal up cuts I always seem to get on my hands (works better than a band-aid).

Anyway, I found that, for me, I like the Krazy Glue Advanced Formula the best. Many people like the gels because they don't run, but I find them messy and slower to dry; this glue is not a gel. However I also find it does not run as much as others. The applicator in the KGAD bottle is of a design the helps prevent running and is better than most at preventing clogging after use. One thing that this glue seems to do is slightlysoak into the feather base. I was concerned this might make the feather brittle and fall off, but it does not. Once the feathers are on there, they are not coming off. In fact, I've never have had one come off since using it. Also as a note, I use wraps, and each feather dries in about a minute at room temperature (70 degrees or above). Give it a try, it works very well.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:06 AM

Snoodslapper,
Thanks for the input, a few years ago I did the same as you, I bought many different super glues and tried them all and my favorite has been the bondini. I havent tried that particular brand of crazy glue that you use but I know bondini probably works just as well, anyways it has for me. I purchased some goat tuff last year just to try it and although very strong it crazes really bad so it wasa waste of money for me. Anyways my only concern is feathers are pretty expensive and I would hate to spend the money only to find out they are a pain in the buttto fletch, I'll probably buy a dozen or so and try em out. cool screen name thanks for the reply..........geo
Old 12-12-2006, 09:32 AM

Just make sure you get the right feathers. If you are fletching right helical you need right wing feathers and left helical is left wing.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: vabowhunter40
I'll probably buy a dozen or so and try em out.
That is exactly what you should do! Once you get the hang of it, it really is no harder, just different.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The one thing I have found helps is to hold the clamp onto the arrow with some pressure for longer than you would for vanes. Otherwise, nothing much harder really,except maybe a little more time to get them done.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:01 AM

I must say, use the fletching tape.
[align=left] [/align]