Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Am I weird or what?

Old 12-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Spike

Default RE: Am I weird or what?

i shoot release and fingers both. most of the time i use a bt release. for me it is harder to pull bowwith fingers. the reason why is when i use a release i have my arm bow arm level with ground and pointed at target. with fingers if i don't watch i will have bow pointed down at theground some. this way i have to pull up and back which makes it a little harder. you might check to see if bow is in same position as when you use fingers. good luck
Old 12-03-2006, 06:03 PM

You're not nuts, I had the same problem. Actually, it wasthe topic ofsome ofmy first few post on this forum.

I was experiencing the same problems you were having. I couldn't get the bow to draw back over the valley and into the wall. Of course, we all know the Trykon is a bit of a harsh draw anyways, so it didn't help matters much. Anyways, back to you.

In all honesty, I lowered the poundage until I was able to draw the bow back numerous times. Then, I went to work. Practice, practice, practice. Don't worry about poundage now. Just worry about form, proper fit, good solid, repeatable anchor, etc. This will be more important in the long run anyways. In time, poundage will return. And if you have a solid foundation, you will be way ahead of the curve.

You will eventually develop those muscles, then you will slowly be able to bump the poundage back up.

And Alpha Camo had some good advice to addas well.

Ohh and good luck trying to shake off the archery bug. There is no remedy. HAHAHAHAHA.

Bols
Old 12-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Draw length does definately affect the draw cycle with a release and without.If your draw length and/or your release are too long,you will notice it is harder to get the bow to break over.

The reason is that when the draw is too long,you are breaking the bow over too far back and you have reached the end of your draw stroke and you are not as strong when you get extended as when you are when not extended.A release will magnify this,especially if the release is too long (I have found that for small frame archers,most are too long)It is very possible the release is a little too long and maybe your draw is too long.

It is possible that you just are not comfortable with it yet and time will fix the problem.

A release shouldnot go past your first joint of your index finger when laying in your hand.

A good proshop should be able to help.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

The draw length sounds too long to me.

I bet you anything if you shorten it up (enough to compensate for the length of the release) you will be able to draw easily.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:52 PM

Try making a fist as you are drawing back. When you draw with your fingers, there are additional muscles that are being utilizedas opposed to just drawing back with a release wrapped around your wrist. Making a fist will put those same muscles to work.

I'm pretty certain this is what's happening in your case. I know that with my bow, using a release I can definitely feel a difference in the effort required to draw ifI do itwith my fingers relaxed -vs- making a fist.

Try it and let us know.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, let me be the first to inform you that there is no law that requires you to use a release.

If you are more comfortable drawing with your fingers, then by golly, tell 'em all to back off andleave you be. Stuff that release in the junk drawerand shoot with your fingers. It's YOUR comfort andenjoyment that counts, not what others think is best for you.

If shooting with your fingers appeals to you, I've got a couple of suggestions. First, get some good finger protection, either a tab or glove. I like the old red and black Black Widow tabs with superleather face, myself, and you can get a whole pocketfull of them for the price of a halfway decent release. Or maybe you'd prefer a glove. A Damascus glove is very nice. Thick enough to protect your fingers but thin enough to give you good control of the string.

I'd wager the rest that's on your bow is made specifically for shooting with a release, so my next suggestion isto get a rest that's compatible with a fingers release. Check into something like the Cavalier FreeFlyte or one of the rests featured on Golden Key Futura's website under Fingers Rests. www.goldenkeyarchery.com

If you really, really want to shoot a release, then go ahead and do it. I'm just telling you that you do not have to give in to peer pressure and use a release just because 'everyone' says that's what you must do. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a little wierd and being just crazy enough to follow your own path and do things your own way.

Just ask these guys and they'll all tell you that I'ma little wierd and crazy. Maybe more than a little.[8D]

Old 12-04-2006, 04:17 AM

Before you give up on a release, make sure your bow is long enough to make shooting with fingers comfortable.

Chances are, fingers will be more difficult than a release. It is for most people. I'll bet two things. You're drawing too much weight and your draw length is too long. This is true for most beginning archers.

There are many excercises you can do to strenthen your back muscles. It helps to do these independently of shooting. I'd also recommend doing light excercises before you shoot. Muscles are much stronger and more flexible when warm. Give yourself about 3-4 weeks of vigorous excercise every 2nd or 3rd day in additon to light excercises before you shoot and I'll bet your strength increases very rapidly. Of course the only cure for a too-long draw length is to shorten it. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:34 PM

My suspicion is that your release is too long. Look into a youth or women's size, or one that has a lot of length adjustment so that you can get that trigger inside the 2nd joint of your index finger.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:09 PM

Hello Again !!!! Yep the weird one is back. I read everything you great folks sent me. Came to the conclusion that I needed to start back at square one. Wen't to the closest bow shop, got measured. There was my first problem! (getting older is no fun) Dropped to a 25. Chose a very short release. Then we went to the range. Picked up a few more different bows to check out the feel. I am now the proud owner of a Hoyt Rintec 2006 75th anniversary edition bow. VERY HAPPY !!! Pulled her back 12 times and I am dead on at 13 yards. (I started out at 30 pounds) I'll just keep pulling til I get up there a little more. Now, to teach myself not to strangle the bow when I hold it, and not lock my left arm up and get popped!!!! Thank you all for the help!!! P.S. My husband and friends still think I'm weird!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:25 PM

Farmchick
Glad to hear you got it figured out,,i figured it was about an inch to long which changing the length of the pulley's "camming over" point would make it more difficult to pull back,,,plus, did you hold your hand parallel with the ground? when pulling with fingers your hand is at a 90 degree angle to the ground and gives you a little more"butt" into it,and when you pull a release it is on the same plane as the ground and takes a little more "butt" to pull that way,,which means you need to do EXACTLY as you are,by knocking down your poundage and re-adjusting your draw length
i shoot a 70 LB recurve so there is no release or camming over to my bow,,LOL,, but you will see a definite improvement the more you practice
Thanks
Bob

Quick Reply: Am I weird or what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.