Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whats the purpose of a extension on a sight

Old 12-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whats the purpose of a extension on a sight

In addition to the improved sight radius it sometimes helps archers that are having trouble seing the pin in focus (associated with being far sighted I believe)and the target in focus at the same time. It's a problem that can also come with the aging process. You sometimes see older people hold something they're reading at arms length to read and sometimes the arms just aren't long enough.
That's me to a T.

I wear contacts to correct my distance vision, but I usually wear "mono-vision" contacts, which is where one contact is for distance and one is for reading. It takes a while to get used to, but it works.

For hunting however, I wear distance contacts in both eyes. I'm lucky in that the prescription for both eyes for distance is the same. At any rate, by wearing two distance contacts, I don't sacrifice any depth perception which of course is necesarry to judge yardage with the bow.

But...the pin is too close without an extension for the sight itself. The pin will blur a bit without the longer bar for the sight.

They're not expensive and my groups actually got a bit better as side benefit of using the longer extension.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the purpose of a extension on a sight

ORIGINAL: pastorkhris

Actually the reason for the sight to be further away is that the further that the two aiming points are from one another the more likely that you are to have created an accurate line for aiming. In other words it is the same concept as the difference between aiming a pistol and a rifle. The pistol is more difficult to aim because the two points are so close together. So with bow hunting when you move the pins out further from your peep or anchor point the more like you are to be aiming properly.
Perfect anallogy...