Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New to archery, picked up a used bow today.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New to archery, picked up a used bow today.

Hi, I am new to archery and havent shot a bow in about 20 years. I used to shoot an old recurve 15-20# bow when I was a kid and had a great deal of fun with it and was actually quite good with it out to about 30 yards. I was at the pawn shot today and traded a $50 .22 pistol for a 70-80# High Country Eliminator compound bow. It has an 7 arrow quiver and brass sights on it. I have no idea what the bow is worth but I figured it would be a good start to be able to tell if it is something that I can do. I picked up an old Stemmler 50-60# a few weeks back and am able to pull it back reasonably well, but this 70-80# is pretty tuff. Any tips on getting into better shape to be able to handle this beast better? I am just using my fingers to be able to pull it back. Would one of those glove things help a bit? (I cannot remember the proper name for them). I have had 2 shoulder surgeries and my neck is not well either lol, maybe I picked the wrong sport to get into.... Tips and comments are welcomed.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:45 PM

Default RE: New to archery, picked up a used bow today.

Ummm......where to begin......I wouldn't have bought a bow w/out shooting it first, but that's a story for another day.

First, High Country bows are just horses to pull back anyway, let alone in the 70-80# class......Is it backed all the way down? You should be able to get it down to around 68 or 9 #'s.....

You've had some shoulder surgery, so you may want to rethink higher poundage. 50-60 may be best for you, but I don't know the extent of the injury.

First thing's first...get those brass pins off and find a set of inexpensive fibre optic sights....Cobra makes one that's only around 20 bucks....

A finger tab will certainly save on pain in your fingers, get one, they are cheap as well...bout 8 bucks.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, getting this bow was more about getting rid of that gun than getting me into a bow. I figured at the most I would be able to pull the cool stuff off from this one and put it on the Stemmler 50-60# bow. I did shoot the bow today but was only able to get 3 shots off before I couldnt pull the sting back anymore lol.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would get a release it seems to be easier for me and yes high country are har dto pull back bout like a jennings i was pulled back at 80 lbs and taht was it
Old 12-01-2006, 10:40 PM

I shot a High Country Bow that was a horse, old , strong , and really out of date , but it did bring meat home. I used fingers and copper pin sight's . All I can say is lower the poundage and have fun. Check strings for fraying to be safe . As far as future goes, try a release, string loop round pin gaurd on your site and a peep that divides string into 2 parts not 3. These up to date parts really help in accuracy and confidence.
Cant really help with the exercise's , but I have an article on low poundage compounds for folks that have to take care of their shoulders. 60 pounds is usually good enough for most med size game. .
Found it . The mag is called "Bow and Arrow Hunting(.com). June 2006 Volume 44 No.5. If you cant find it let me know , I'll highlight its main idea's if you like.
Welcome back to the world of bow hunting.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say 90% of us shoot 50-60 or 60-70 lbs bows. The 70-80 bows are for big game hunters or the He-Man types. Not too many beginners should be shooting a 70-80 lb bow.

Honestly the best advice I can give you is to sell both of those bows and take the money to a good bow shop and have them set you up with something like a Reflex or a Fred Bear. They are great bows for not alot of money. The pro shop will get you off to a good start and you'll enjoy yourself much more.

Welcome to the sport and good luck to you. You've found a great community to learn.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it sounds like I have stumbled onto a great community. You guys seem to accomplish what many forums lack, fun/humor while being informitive. Thank you for that.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:38 PM

I wouldalso look at draw length. is it at your setting or adjustable enough. 70 - 80 pds. is alot of weight to draw. especially on an older bow w/ virtually no let off !! LOL !!! Might be a good way to put a down payment on something newer. Or sell out right for cash for upgrades on another bow. Definately wouldnt recommened shooting this tank w/ problematic shoulder issue's. Good luck !!!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like I will take it with me to the bow shop and see if they will give me some trade in value for it. It really is a beast to pull back more than a few times which makes it tuff to get enough practice time in. Sucks, I was hoping that it would work out for me. I pulled it back pretty easy at the place where I acquired it lol. But with the chronice bursitis and dissolving discs in my neck the inflamation sets in and doesnt allow my muscles to work well anymore. I am thinking that you guys are right and I should get something around the 50# range.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd definitely lose the high poundage bow. No need for it, and its just no fun to not be able to take more than a few shots per practice session. Not to mention sitting motionless in a cold stand for hours, just try to pull it back.... it won't be easy. I'd get measured to find your correct draw length then figure how much you want to spend on a bow, be it used or new, then shoot all the bows you can in your range and pick the one that feels most comfortable for you. I'd probably get a release, it does help with accuracy. Good luck!