Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Help fletching youth arrows

Old 11-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help fletching youth arrows

Want to make some custom arrows with wraps and feather fletching for a Christmas present for my nephew, but have never done the wraps or feathers before. Questions I have are what brand and size of feathers, left or right wing for offset fletch, what glue, and anything else that might be helpful. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help fletching youth arrows

I like to use Fastset Gel glue for my fletchings, but I also use vanes not feathers. I presume he uses feathers now as well. You can find feather glues in most hunting stores that have archery supplies. Or easily order from Cabelas or Redhead. Next you'll need to know what type rest the youth is using to determine how much offset you can place on the fletchings. But any offset is better than none. You'll also need to know which direction to set the cockvane. Wraps are fairly easy to put on. They are like a plastic piece of tape, and you just have to beprecise getting them started on the shaft.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

He shoots off the shelf of a child's recurve type bow. I've fletched lots of plastic vanes, but am new to feathers. Really need to know what size feathers. The arrows he has now are just the cheapy ones that came with the bow so no help there. I'm going to set him up with the Goldtip Falcons cut to maybe 22".No way to fletch helical so will have to go with an offset. Still looking for suggestions on glue, size of feathers, and brand of feather if it matters. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2006, 09:55 AM

Lady Arwen I only use feathers so I could be of some help here. I personally like to use the Bohning Feather fletching tape. The tape is very easy to use and works just as well a glue IMHO for feathers. Tape is not to be used with vanes. The only glue I use on the feathers after applying them with the tape is a dot at the front and the back of each feather. I use bohing fletch-tite platinum. You could use either 3" or 4" feathers either would be fine. I have found that truflight feathers have bases that are ground down a little more evenly than Gateway, But I have used both and would say use whichever brand you can get.