Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Determining Draw Length?

Old 11-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default Determining Draw Length?

What is the most accurate way to determine your draw length? I have heard multiple things. The most common is to measure the length of your arrow from the inside groove of your knock to the end of your insert. Using this method my arrow measures 26 5/8". This seems really short to me. I am 6'0 - 190lbs, normal athletic build. Does this sound right to you?
Old 11-13-2006, 12:12 PM

Default RE: Determining Draw Length?

Draw length is measured from the nock point to the end of the shelf on the riser. I think it can also be measured to the beginning of the shelf and then add 1-3/4". The best way to determine what draw length is best for you is to have a reputable pro shop look at your form and measure your drawlength. It's important to get it perfect because it has a big difference in your shooting consistency.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Does 26 5/8" sound short for me? I am using a mechanical release.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best way is to find a good NFAA or NAA certified coach. Call the local pro shops that focus on target archery and ask them who is good in your area. A good coach will not only set you up the right way the first time, but they will also help you tune, etc. I promise it will be the best money you ever spend on the sport and will improve your shooting more than any gadget.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.bowsales.com/draw_length.htm
Old 11-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

ya i got my draw length set up by the local bow shop, the would be the best way in my thoughts, i wouldnt go by some people off the internet not to knock people but get it from a person that knows for sure what they are doing. I dont mean to knock people.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Determining the draw length you should shoot is afirly complicated if you do it right. Best way is to measure your wingspan and then divide this by 2.5. This gives you a starting point and by shooting and tweaking you adjust the bow till it fits you. This is not a matter of a inch here, an inch there--nor even in half inch increments. It gets down to the last 1/8". When you have the bow adjusted till you are rock solid on the target aiming becomes very easy.

The draw length of the bow is determined according to
AMO" standards. That being, when a bow is fully drawn, it's the measurement from the nocking point on the string to the deepest part of the grip (True Draw)---then add 1 3/4". This may end up being to the far side of the riser, but often not. Assume that your bow has a True Draw of 26 5/8". Then you add 1 3/4" and the AMO draw length, which is what the bow is marked for, should be 28 3/8". Of course bows aren't marked this way. They usually come in even 1" increments such as 28" or 29", which is their AMO draw length. Their True Draw would measure 26 1/4" and 27 1/4" respectively. Confusing isn't it. Just compute everything to AMO specs.

The length of the arrow, as you describe has no relation to draw length. You may have a 28" draw, but depending on where the rest is located in relation to the riser can determine what arrow length you choose to shoot. As long as the arrow is not drawn off the rest when you draw the bow it is long enough. Longer doesn't hurt a thing. In other words I have a 27" draw. I shoot a 27" arrow even though they extend past the rest about 1 1/2"---nothing to worry about.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

According to measuring the total arm span and diving by 2.5, my draw length is 28.5. When I am going off of a arrow manufactures selection chart, should I go by my draw length or by my actual arrow length. It seems to make more since to go with the actual arrow length plus draw wt.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dustin, in you're case I would use the draw weight of the bow and the length of the arrow, but given any choices err on the stiff side of the chart.

Get back to us with bow weight and arrow length for possible choices.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

I went to Bass pro last night to get some new arrows. I had the tech guy measure my draw length. He measured from my knock point to the middle of shelf on the riser. He said it was 27". My bow draw weight is 70lbs. I ended up getting Carbon Fury 6075 arrows. He said to go by the braw length instead of the actual length of the arrow. I hope these are the right arrow for me.