Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whisker bisket slows down arrows

Old 11-29-2006, 10:20 AM

Default RE: Whisker bisket slows down arrows

I guess I am in the minority then. But after going to the Ripcord I saw just how big of an improvement it made. As far as hitting the cord on something. If you are in that thick of brush drawing your bow back then you probably shouldn't be shooting. If you could tell the difference in the weight of your bow by adding a dropaway, you must have the lightest bow in the world.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

Well this thread could go on forever........back and forth, back and forth. I used the WB for the first time this season. I can say yes, it may have slowed my arrow down a bit (not enought to matter though), however, it silenced my bow more than anything else. I don't know what it is but this year the deer I have killed have not moved at all after release of the arrow. They usually have that little duck and run a 1/8 of asecond or soafter release as is shown on several videos in slow motion. Not this year though. As a result of their little duck and run routine in the past, I have grown accustomed to aiming slightly lower. Well this year I've done the same thing (aim low)and the arrow hits where I aim with no movement from the deer whatsoever. It doesn't make much difference in the amount that I aim low but I directly relate the deer not moving tothe silenceing of my bow andto the WB as that was the only variable I changed this year on my setup.

Bottom line is just as with anything else in hunting. Pick your gear and become proficient enough with it to take care of business in the field without any apprehension whatsoever. If there is something you don't like about your setup or something bothers you,CHANGE IT,so that when themoment of truthcomesandyou have to use ityou won't be thinking about whether or not you're going to hit where you aim or whether or not you should have gotten rid of the WB for the Rip Cord. If you're really worried about the drop in 3-10 fps by using the WB, well............ I can't answer that one. All I know is that I'll sacrifice 3 fps or so in order to have a virtually silent bow. Sorry for the rant but since everyone else is jumping in I guess I'll get my feet wet too. Take care!

VA
Old 11-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Well said VA5326
Old 11-29-2006, 01:11 PM

Your WB made your bow more silent! Carolina Archery should market the WB as a sound dampener now I guess. That is honestly the first time I have ever heard someone say it made their bow more quiet. Some people say theirs doesn't make any noise, but I never thought it would actually be considered an aid.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:08 AM

If you could tell the difference in the weight of your bow by adding a dropaway, you must have the lightest bow in the world.
I didn't say "a dropaway". I said, "a Muzzy dropaway". Have you ever picked one up? It probably weighs as much as 5 whisker biscuits.

That is honestly the first time I have ever heard someone say it made their bow more quiet. Some people say theirs doesn't make any noise, but I never thought it would actually be considered an aid.
I've heard that said a hundred times. It depends on what they were shooting before they made the switch. There are times when I'm standing next to someone shooting a dropaway and it sounds like someone is whacking their bow with a stick when they shoot. Sometimes they put a pad on the arrrow shelf to help silence it, and it sounds like someone whacking a pad on a bow, with a stick. I'm looking at them thinking "They're going to hunt with that?", and they're thinking it's the next best thing to sliced bread.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

With all the talk about the WB slowing down an arrow, are there any numbers that state how much a helical and/oroffset slows down an arrow vs a vane that is straight fletched disregarding what it is shot thru? Aerodynamics (only big word I know) would state that there would be more drag with an offset or helical thus producing a slower arrow. I know the idea behind hunting would be accuracy. Just curious.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:45 PM

Dont know numbers but the animals I've hit with my right helical , WB havent said muchThe set up works
Old 12-02-2006, 12:59 PM

I have tested them I found that they are loud on certain brands of carbon arrows !! no real noise that I noticed w/ aluminums though. Use a litlle corn starch or talcum powder on them wisker. Helps quiet it down w/ less friction.