Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

how can i get better groups?now with a video see pg 3

Old 11-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: how can i get better groups?

It's already been said and you don't want to hear it but your DL is too long! I can't see where shortening it will cause your elbow to bend too much, it's too straight as it is. Remember, it's better to shoot a bow that is too short than one that is too long.

Other than that, these guys have you going well.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:38 PM

ok thank u rob i will do that aye guys but i didnt know that moving the peep up or down will change your shot...
Old 11-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome idea with the video.

I also noticedsome things.

1. DL too long. You should have a slight bend in your arm. Also, the string is coming way back toward your ear a little to far in my opinion.

2. Grip is different every time. Your fingers should be completely relaxed and resting gently on the bow grip.

3. I noticed you are not using a kisser button. Kisser buttons are nice because they give you an added point of contact when your at full draw so its easier to be consistent. Try to have at least 3 points of contact at full draw. For me, I have the string touching the tip of my nose, the fletching barely touching my lower lip, my right knuckle on the pointy part of my jaw bone below my ear, and finally my peep and kisser button. The more the better.

4. How do you use your peep sight? Do you center the individual pin, or do you center the entire pin guard? I like to use a large peep and center the round pin guard inside the peep. This is more accurate than centering a small pin inside a large diameter peep.

5. You are not really following through after the shot. It looks like you drop your bow arm the instant the release goes off. Try to keep your pins on the target a full second after the arrow hits the target.

6. It looks like you might be punching the trigger although its hard to tell. Try to gently squeeze the trigger until it goes off. Let the pins hover around the bulllseye while sqeezing slowly and follow through. Don't try to force your sight pin on the bullseye - just let it hover around the bullseye.

7. It really looks like you are trying to pull too much draw weight. The way your shoulders come up is a dead giveaway that your overbowed. A shorter draw length might also take care of this problem. You want to be able to draw straight back to your anchor point.

8. Don't adjust your grip while at full draw. You are better off starting out with the proper grip before you draw.

9. Your left shoulder is hunched up too high. Try bringing it down some. You'll probably have to move your peep sight up the string.

10. Make sure your peep sight is adjusted properly. I noticed you tilting your head slightly forward to see through your peep. It was very slight but it could be improved. If you close your eyes and draw your bow to your natural anchor point, when you open your eyes the peep should be right there. If you have to move your head to see through the peep it needs adjusted.

I really nitpicked everything I could find. Your form is actually pretty good but you wanted help so I felt obligated to tell you everyting I saw since you asked for help. Good luck to you man.

By the way, here are some tips from Randy Ulmer. This guy knows how to shoot!
http://www.bowhunter.com/bowhuntermagtv/BHTV_DOdescriptions/
Old 11-30-2006, 03:45 PM

thanks alot 38 b you mainly said everything that i wanted to hear just an all around answer thanks alot and i will try my best to work on what you have taught me especially lowering my dl
Old 11-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

No problem. #2, #3, and #5 are the ones that really helped me improve my shooting the most. Especially #5 - following through and not dropping the bow arm too soon after the shot. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:35 PM

ok imma try this weekend to do a follow up video and will see what goes from there