Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

how can i get better groups?now with a video see pg 3

Old 11-21-2006, 08:51 PM

Default RE: how can i get better groups?

or if that dont work

Old 11-22-2006, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't read the other posts, so if I write something someone else already said, please excuse me.

I watched your bow-hand through all the shots. I think you should get a bow-sling and practice with your hand open. Just push the bow away from you, and let the sling catch it. It looks like you're 'twisting' the bow a little with the grip you have on it. And that's the purpose of a sling, to keep you from torquing the bow.

Other than that, maybe next time you shoot, when on arrow flies off from the rest of the group, mark it, and shoot again. Maybe you have one that's not flying like the others. It's possible.

Just my 2-cents. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:49 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

What Bowman said. I also noticed that in the straight on shot after you settle in you released all but your thumb and index fingers on the grip, they next shot you left your hand closed around the grip and then on the following shot you opened your hand again. I would say the grip is your issue, get the sling and then make it the same every time. You shouldn't hold the handle of the bow, use your grip hand as a brace to pull back on. Your draw may be about 1/2 inch too long as well. It appeared that the string is coming back past your nose. That may have been camera angle as well?
Old 11-22-2006, 09:13 AM

Yep, Your grip need work.

It also appeared to me that you may be trying to pull too much draw weight. It appears that sometimes you are really having to " BOW " up to pull it back. You may be fatigueing yourself. That can cause groups to spread out fairly quickly. Try reducing the draw weight a few pounds. 3-5 lbs. can make a big difference.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:30 AM

im no expert, but when i was shooting my mach 10 a few years ago i would get some nice shots and then they would start going all over the place. now that im in the market for trying a bow again i went and pulled a few back and the guy said i wasnt putting the string in the same location on each pull. i now know what i was doing wrong before. i was using the way my hand touched the muscles on my neck for my locaton but the more i soot the more my muscles in my neck flex and my hold position was changing. now i touch the string to my nose and the string to my lips and dont worry about how it feels on my neck and problem sollved.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:05 PM

do u mean like putting my thumb on my neck?well thanks alot guys im goin to buy a sling this weekend but can i put it over the stabilizer or what and what kind of sling would yall reccomend ill post another video later when i get th sling
Old 11-22-2006, 01:40 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Get a braided rope sling. They are fairly common and cheap. They have a hole in them, you take off the stabilizer, put the threaded stud of the stabilizer through the hole and put the stabilizer back on. Make sense?
Old 11-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your grip was the same thing I noticed. Without a sling you are going to want to grab at the grip so the bow doesn't fall, this leads to accuracy issues. With a grip you can just let that bow jump in your hand without worrying about dropping it. Also when you release, make sure your trigger is settled in at the joint where your first knuckle is, don't reach with the tip of your finger as it will cause you to torque your release. ( no this from experiance). Best of luck buddy.

Shane
Old 11-22-2006, 08:54 PM

thanks alot guys do you think ordering a sling would be good or should i go try one on?
Old 11-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

definently need work on the grip. i didnt read what the others wrote...but i can clearly watch the bow tourqe imediatly after you release..i kinda like the whole video thing! definently a great way for us to help with form. i noticed that your grip is pretty much diffrent on every shot. heck..the camera angle when you shot infront of the camera you left your hand straight away from you. others you had a very open grip..others you had a semi tight grip..get a consistant loose grip and youll be bustin arrows. that was my problem..when i solved the problem i lost.....4 of my own arrows..by shooting them of course! someone hear said it best before...think "dead spider" when griping. just let your fingers hang..dont straighten them..dont grip with them....i dont shoot with a sling(just never got around to gettin one) and i dont have any of my fingers touch..also i read from an archery pro(cant find the website right now) that a low wrist is the most repeatable..its hard to explain..but when gripping the bottom of my arm is straight through and my hand lines up...leaving my wrist higher then my arm..kinda bend my wrist upward..if i stick my hand out to shake hands id lift my hand upwards...let the riser/grip fall between my thumb and index finger and let my fingers naturally fall around the bow. its hard to explain..but if you work on the grip and get a good consistant group youll shoot better no doubt. i got frustrated for a while...i thought my grip was good..i was shooting groups at 20-25yds but nothing to write home about..soon as i fixed the grip i was slamming shafts out to 40....good luck...with shooting a bow you want to keep everything constant...when i first started shooting nothing was constant. i actually moved my sights a couple diffrent times because it was so bad! one day id shoot diffrently then the day before..but consistantly diffrent each day...once you find what feels right and you shoot good practice will keep it in your memory making it all feel natural..

Quick Reply: how can i get better groups?now with a video see pg 3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.