Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string questions

Old 11-02-2006, 06:37 PM

Default string questions

1) About how many grains does a foot of standard peep tying string weigh?

2) What is the weight/fps ratio?... meaning how muchweight does it take to reduce arrow speed by "X" number of fps?

Old 11-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: string questions

LOL
not enough to matter.
The peep must be tied in order to keep it from moving up and down the string

a peep with rubber tube will slow down string travel by as much as 5 FPS a peep without rubber tubing is about 1 FPS the serving will not make any measurabledifference at least shootingthru a chronograph.
if you were to sifer on TAP it would come up with some fractional number but not of any significance.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:06 AM

Yes, LOL to you (althoughyou probably didn't mean anything by it)but at this particular point inthe edumacationing of myself I must know. Reason being is therehas tobe 10 feet of serving total if not more on my bow string. I put about a foot of it there myself for the peep. All the other stuff was wrapped in a continuous 6 inch long section up and down from my nock. In addition, the wrapping of serving in the area of the cams is excessive. There's a 3 inch section of wrapping by each cam that is never touched by the cams when drawing the bow. Although, that stuff probably doesn't slow down my bow nearly as much as the serving that's closer to the center right? So...

2) What is the weight/fps ratio?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're correct about the center serving. It can slow things down if it's excessively long, but only by a few fps. The purpose of center serving is to protect the string from wear by your fingers or release---not from hitting your arm or clothes. Adjusting your draw length and/or grip will take care of that.

That being said, for a couple years now I have cut down on cneter serving length to about 3-3 1/2". If you shoot a loop there is no reason to have it any longer. Your string doesn't need protection from the release because the release doesn't contact the string. Basically all you need is enough to give the loop something to grip and enough that it doesn't slide around on the string.

Serving near the cams has much less effect on the bow's speed. I keep it to a minimum just for the purpose of being able to use my Leeches like speed balls---close to the cams themselves.

As for serving in the peep and kisser? Well, I don't use a kisser so that a moot subject. As for the peep? I've learnedover the years that if strings are made properly they are long enough that they can be twisted so there is about one twist every 1 1/2" of length. This is plenty to allow me to install a Specialty Super Ball or Fletcher True Peep without serving it in. The string is actually tight enough on both sides that serving isn't needed. So far I've never had one move on it's own. Infact I have a hard time moving it intentionally.

Another trick is to pick your strings made from lighter materials in the first place. That's why I have been using BCY 8125. It's maybe 3 fps faster than some other materials.

So how much speed does this give me? Totalled up about 3-5 fps. Not much really, but a couple here and a couple there and pretty soon it can mount up to about 20 fps over most peoples' setups.

I am aware that speed isn't the end all of archery. Accuracy is, but why worry about getting a fast bow and light arrows to gain more speed if you intend to choke down the available speed with unneccessary accessories.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dohcrxl

2) What is the weight/fps ratio?... meaning how muchweight does it take to reduce arrow speed by "X" number of fps?

(1) buy a grain scale and find out for your self

(2) buy a chronograph and find out for your self

SO how do you like me now?

HAVE A NICE DAY!
Old 11-03-2006, 01:06 PM

8125 is faster, but its not lighter than 452x.

there is a great video at the specialty archery site that shows tying in a peep.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

The purpose of center serving is to protect the string from wear by your fingers or release---not from hitting your arm or clothes.
Do you mean the purpose of a center serving is not to protect the string from hitting your arm or clothing. Cause to me it is one of the purposes.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Rough estimate is +/-10gr on arrow/string = +/-3fps.