Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newbie needs help

Old 11-02-2006, 05:42 PM

Default Newbie needs help

I am an avid hunter and have been for 4 years. I am considering bow hunting for the 1st time.

Can someone please tell me what to look for in a bow? Specs? Setup?
Old 11-02-2006, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie needs help

Welcome! We're glad you joined us!

You should go to a pro archery shop to find the right bow. They'll measure your draw length, and let you handle a few bows to determine what feels best to you and what you can comfortably pull back.

No 2 people use the exact set up. That's why I STRONGLY suggest you visit the closet pro shop. I know, that's not what you want to hear, but finding the right bow is like finding the right handgun. It MUST feel good to YOU in order for you to shoot well. A top of the line bow will not make you a marksman...awell fittingbow will.

As far as what you need: A wrist sling, quiver, stabilizer, peep sight andI strongly suggest a D-loop and release aid.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie needs help

buying a bow is like finding the right girlfriend if it feels right then you know you have found the right one

I shoot a Newberry and claim it is the best bow I have ever owned or shot
the next guy may think Newberry is the biggest piece of junk on the market

buying a bow is a personal choice dont let any one influence you on what you think you should get you will also have to buy a bow within your budget and dont forget everything else that goes along with purchasing a bow
Arrows,Quiver, Sight, Peep, Rest, Release having a professional technician set everything up will all acumulate to the overall price of a bow and they are all personal choices you have to make.