Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pin size?

Old 10-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pin size?

I am going to upgrade to a Trophy Ridge sight this winter! I was wondering other than size what is the difference between the two different pin size's! Is one better than the other can anybody lay down the info? Any help would be appreciated as always!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pin size?

Larger pin size (.029")will be more visible, especially in low light conditions. It will obscure a little more of the target, but if it's for hunting it's not much of a concern. It won't get to be a liability until you start shooting beyond 40 yards.

Smaller pin (.019") won't be quite as bright. Doesn't obscure as much of the target so allows for more precise aiming especially at longer distances.

Visibilty will also depend on how old your eyes are and what the application will be. If it's for hunting then I'd go for the larger. In fact in past years I've actually used a .040" pin for my 20 yarder and got progressively smaller as the yardage got longer.

Also take to mind that if you hunt late enough that you think you need a light to brighten the pins then you have the wrong sight on your bow. There are a lot of wrapped-fiber sights that are quite capable of being bright enough at last light without the hassle of batteries possibly going out on you. The other pain with a light is that when needed the most they often make the pin so bright that you can't see the animal beyond the sight. All you have is like a floodlight in your eyes.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NH306

I am going to upgrade to a Trophy Ridge sight this winter! I was wondering other than size what is the difference between the two different pin size's! Is one better than the other can anybody lay down the info? Any help would be appreciated as always!
Unless you are getting their new sight, or a pendulum, don't get the Trophy Ridge. The vertical pins are neat, but NOT functional. 20 yards, you're dead on and can see clearly...go out to 30 or more and you can barely make out the pin. I had one and got rid of it. Find something else with horizontal pins. Like the Sword sight. It's a couple of dollars more AND it comes with a light.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

I have the .029 (larger) for my 20 and 30 pins and a .019 (smaller) for my 40 pin. Cant see the 40 pin when it starts to get dark but that helps me from making stupid shots at longer distances in low light conditions.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:29 AM

I use an HHA sight and when I first got it, it had the 0.29 pin in it. I changed it out for the 0.19 pin and I like it a lot more. I use a single pin set for 25 yards. HHA is one of, if not the brightest fiber sights I have used. I have no problem seeing my pin at first twilight.

I would second the suggestion not to get the Trophy Ridge but that's just my opinion.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Slo-Pitch

I have the .029 (larger) for my 20 and 30 pins and a .019 (smaller) for my 40 pin.
Same here,I alsouse a second .019 for my 50 pin. Smaller pins for a smaller target at greater distances.Just my personal preference.