Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blazer vs Feathers - personal test

Old 10-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Blazer vs Feathers - personal test

Over the past two years I have always bought new arrows when some of the feathers have gone bad. I had about 10 in the corner of my hunting room I was getting ready to throw away because I have not purchased a re-fletcher. I called my local archery shop and found out they refletch arrows for $3.00 / arrow for feathers or $3.50 for Blazers. I had 5 fletched in feathers with a factory right helical and the other 5 in blazers because I always wanted to try them.
My equipment is listed in the signature below. The first thing I noticed is the Blazers were extremely silent in flight. No whistle or anything. At 20 yards or less the impact was identical to the feathers. After 20 yards though, theblazers fishtail and impact to the right (between 2 and 6 inches) of the intended target. Repeated trailsthroughout the weekend experienced the same thing, with no consistency.The feather**** exactly where aimed and flew like darts, but did have a whistle.Occasional, the blazers would hit exactly where I wanted right along with the feathers. No matter how hard I tried and how much I shot, I could not consistently get the blazers to pattern. The fishtailhas me really concerned and I could not figure out if the blazers were hitting the rest or bow somewhere. Love the silence, hate the accuracy (or lack there of).
Old 10-29-2006, 05:23 PM

Default RE: Blazer vs Feathers - personal test

I am assuming that your bow is properly tuned?
Interesting test and results.

Old 10-29-2006, 05:59 PM

Blazers are tall and stiff. If you have contact, it will show up. That is the beauty of feathers....they dont show contact as much.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get some desonex foot spray and put it on the arrow and then shoot it. Your problem will show up instantly I bet.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:04 PM

WHAT DO U MEAN RICK JAMES ? I USE FEATHERS BUT R U SAYIN TO PUT FOOTSPRAY ON THE ARROW TO DO WHAT?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

As was stated above, blazers are a higher profile vane than most, and they are VERY stiff as well. That is why they work so well for a little vane. The downside to them is that they are more likely to contact the bow, cable guard, cables, riser, or rest than any other vane. Sometimes because vanes are so forgiving they can have contact and still shoot great. Blazers will not. Take a blazer equipped arrow and shoot it once covered in the spray and the spray will clearly show if/where it contacts anything. Then one can determine if the problem is the vane, or the bow setup.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:51 PM

OK THANX RICK JAMES NOW I UNDERSTAND
Old 10-30-2006, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kathwacckkk

Over the past two years I have always bought new arrows when some of the feathers have gone bad. I had about 10 in the corner of my hunting room I was getting ready to throw away because I have not purchased a re-fletcher. I called my local archery shop and found out they refletch arrows for $3.00 / arrow for feathers or $3.50 for Blazers. I had 5 fletched in feathers with a factory right helical and the other 5 in blazers because I always wanted to try them.
My equipment is listed in the signature below. The first thing I noticed is the Blazers were extremely silent in flight. No whistle or anything. At 20 yards or less the impact was identical to the feathers. After 20 yards though, theblazers fishtail and impact to the right (between 2 and 6 inches) of the intended target. Repeated trailsthroughout the weekend experienced the same thing, with no consistency.The feather**** exactly where aimed and flew like darts, but did have a whistle.Occasional, the blazers would hit exactly where I wanted right along with the feathers. No matter how hard I tried and how much I shot, I could not consistently get the blazers to pattern. The fishtailhas me really concerned and I could not figure out if the blazers were hitting the rest or bow somewhere. Love the silence, hate the accuracy (or lack there of).
it could be that you use a broadhead that requires a little more down range stabilization than the Blazers can provide
also if you shoot a slower set up this will cause the arrow to loose down rangeRPM faster.

this is just a couple of combinationsof circumstances that will cause a larger fletch to out preform another.

I shooth the blazers and with the Wasp Boss Bullets I can hit whatever I am aiming 70 yards out.

everything has its good points as well as its bad points.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

My bow is tuned, but itwas tuned using factory feathers.
I might give the Desonex a try. For right now I think I will put the Blazers on the shelf and shoot / hunt with the feathers.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

if that is what you are accustomed to then that is probably what you should stick with

Quick Reply: Blazer vs Feathers - personal test

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.