Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blazer vs Feathers - personal test

Old 10-30-2006, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blazer vs Feathers - personal test

I had about 10 in the corner of my hunting room I was getting ready to throw away because I have not purchased a re-fletcher. I called my local archery shop and found out they refletch arrows for $3.00 / arrow for feathers or $3.50 for Blazers. I had 5 fletched in feathers with a factory right helical and the other 5 in blazers because I always wanted to try them.
Could've taken that money you spent paying someone else to fletch your arrows and instead bought the tools to do it yourself!
It does sound like a contact issue!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:50 AM

Just a note about a couple of things.

1 ) were the blazers put on straight or offset. All my balzers are put on as offset. And I get great flight out of them.

2) I don't know the going rates where you are, But I have had 3 dozen arrows fletched in the last 2 months, and the going rate here is 25.00 a doz. The first dozen was a refletch job on my carbon express, and the next two dozen were new fletching on two dozen A/C/C shafts.

But 36.00 a dozen may be the going price where you are, but I just thought I would give you a comparison. You may find some place cheaper if you check around a bit.

Good luck, and thanks for the test report, but don't give up on the blazers, they really are a great fletch.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Kathwacckkk

Over the past two years I have always bought new arrows when some of the feathers have gone bad. I had about 10 in the corner of my hunting room I was getting ready to throw away because I have not purchased a re-fletcher. I called my local archery shop and found out they refletch arrows for $3.00 / arrow for feathers or $3.50 for Blazers. I had 5 fletched in feathers with a factory right helical and the other 5 in blazers because I always wanted to try them.
My equipment is listed in the signature below. The first thing I noticed is the Blazers were extremely silent in flight. No whistle or anything. At 20 yards or less the impact was identical to the feathers. After 20 yards though, theblazers fishtail and impact to the right (between 2 and 6 inches) of the intended target. Repeated trailsthroughout the weekend experienced the same thing, with no consistency.The feather**** exactly where aimed and flew like darts, but did have a whistle.Occasional, the blazers would hit exactly where I wanted right along with the feathers. No matter how hard I tried and how much I shot, I could not consistently get the blazers to pattern. The fishtailhas me really concerned and I could not figure out if the blazers were hitting the rest or bow somewhere. Love the silence, hate the accuracy (or lack there of).
My experience is identical to yours with the exception that I cannot get better than a six inch group at 20 yards with Blazers.

I shoot a Mathews FX at 65lbs with Muzzy ZE drop away, 100gr Muzzy 4-blades, and Gold Tip 5575 carbons.

I got tired of the inaccuracy one session and I pulled my feathers back out and shot consecutive three inch groups at 30 yards and they also flew like darts. Boy, let me tell you how much better I felt after that. I thought there was something seriously wrong with me or the bow.

Bottom line is that Blazers work for some people, but not for others. Your experiences may vary, but these were mine.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

I think the contact issue has much to do with those instances where blazers seem to perform less than admaribly. As previously stated, if you have even the slightest fletching contact, the stiffness of the blazers will cause them to fistail or porpoise wildly.

That being said, I am able to consistently shoot 6-7" BH groups with my Blazer fletched arrows....at 80 yards!

Inside 80 they are every bit as accurate as I am shooting that day. Inside 40, I can't shoot at the same spot because I end up refletching or RH too many arrow shafts.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: the kidd

WHAT DO U MEAN RICK JAMES ? I USE FEATHERS BUT R U SAYIN TO PUT FOOTSPRAY ON THE ARROW TO DO WHAT?
That is why they measure arrow speed in "feet per second" !
Old 10-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

i definently agree it sounds like contact. check it out and retest...i bet theres a culprit somewhere..and i doubt its the blazers..im betting contact somewhere.

my rest was all set up..no clearance issuses..i shot feathers for a month or so but man i beat them up and knew hunting id beat them up worse. shot good. grouped good. but heard blazers shot just as good and were tough. so i had them refletched. first 35yd group i slammed 3 shafts together. i was in awe. this was my first year with a bow EVER. 35yds with feathers i shot OK but never THAT good. ever since i had major problems.....i keep breaking arrows!!! sliced fletchings off with BHs...cut a couple shafts with BHs...ya..i finally got smart enough to quit shooting more then 1 arrow..and granted..my form and shooting got better as well so i cant credit it ALL to the blazers...but just giving MY feather vs blazer test...both shot equally well. but i cant beat blazers up. heck i passed them through my bag target and they were fine..i love em!

check for contact and retest them...you might be surprised..