Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

viper or viper ss

Old 10-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default viper or viper ss

I was at DICK'S and was going to buy the ss until I saw the older model for $100 less! They looked pretty much the same, except the ss is 6 pounds lighter. The 6 pounds doesn't bother me, because I'll never really be carrying it more than a few hundred yds!!!

Is the ss worth the extra $100 if the extra 6 pounds doesn't matter?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: viper or viper ss

I loved my viper but I havent seen the new ones so I cant comment but I dont think the design improved $100.worth
unless they put a self climbing switch on the thing I would save the extra 100 Bucks for something else.
JMHO
Old 10-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

I went with the Viper classic, and a new pair of F&S 1000 gram rubber boots!!
Old 10-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vikesfan353

I went with the Viper classic, and a new pair of F&S 1000 gram rubber boots!!
ADDABOY!
Old 10-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

The Viper Classic is the older steel stand that weighs 26-30#... I believe that Dicks is the only place to get them now if I remember right... they're about a 5-6yr old stand.

The newer Vipers are made of Aluminumand weigh20#.. much lighter. They also have the climbing stirrups.. which are much nicer than the older straps... bout $20-25 to add them to your Classic. Also the SS comes w/ the "summit skins"... but they have issues w/ them sticking to the stand... so that's prolly a moot point.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Kbacon...is that whats wrong with the SS?? i seen a flyer saying it may be bad but never said what was wrong. i contacted summit how the flyer said...they never emailed me or anything though. last time i did that i got my replacement part free in the mail before i even thought about it lol. i did notice mine didnt stick for beans. i had to press it flat ALOT to get it to stick. the bottom of the stand was the worst part.

i do like the SS though..might not do much..but it keeps me from having 2 pieces of metal smacking together and sliding passed eachother etc.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The SS comes with teh Summit Skin and they are all aluminum. I would go with the SS, if money is not a major issue, but the old Viper is still a good deal.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:04 PM
Host of Hosts

The SS comes with teh Summit Skin and they are all aluminum. I would go with the SS, if money is not a major issue, but the old Viper is still a good deal.

I bought a Summit Razor SS partly because of the summit skin, but when I opened it up the skin was missing. I called Summit the next day and they told me they would send it out. After a couple weeks I called back and asked the status of the skin. The new story was that they had some issues with the skin and were waiting on a newer revised skin to be available sometime in November. I wasn't happy about that at all. I had a brand new stand without one of the reasons I purchased it. I will now have to completely clean the stand and hope that the new skin will stick and Archery season will be over in mid November so I probably won't get to use the stand with it this year. I still think Summit makes some very good stands, but their customer service has lost a bit of my respect.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

I still think Summit makes some very good stands, but their customer service has lost a bit of my respect.
Would you have rather them send you the skins.. only to install them.. and have them peel back off.. ???

I think they did the right thing by not sending you the faulty skins... I'd rather wait and get the right part.. than get a part.. only to have it fail.. and have to contact the company again.

Personally I don't think they should have made the stands w/ the skins if they didn't stick in the 1st place...

Old 10-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Host of Hosts

Would you have rather them send you the skins.. only to install them.. and have them peel back off.. ???

I think they did the right thing by not sending you the faulty skins... I'd rather wait and get the right part.. than get a part.. only to have it fail.. and have to contact the company again.

Personally I don't think they should have made the stands w/ the skins if they didn't stick in the 1st place...

I wouldn't have wanted the bad skins, but they should n't have shipped out the stands without some type of notice to the customer. They should have marked the boxes instead of leading people to believe the skins were enclosed. Then to top it off the first time I called they said the skins would be sent, never a mention of them being intentionally left out because of a bad batch of them. Then to find out a week or two later that the skins won't be coming until after season. I think they were being a bit deceptive.