Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Critique my form........Thanks

Old 10-21-2006, 07:34 AM

Default RE: Critique my form........Thanks

Why are you pulling 70#when you have a bad wrist? Your bow is more than capable of performing well at a lower poundage, like 55-60. Not sure if it'll go down that far though.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

My thoughts exactly. Why 70#? Why do guys have this problem with testosterone? There is nothing walking this continent, or most of the world really that 60# won't handle with equal efficiency.

Because of your wrist you can't hold a lot of weight? OK, I'll accept that, but no matter, you still have to roll it over the peak weight and that's the part that ruins a lot of bodies. That and the sudden drop-off to the holding weight.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with outlander and fisher!
drop down your poundage and adjust your draw length and use a wrist supportby not gripping the bow this will take pressure off the wrist besides there is more pressure on your shoulder and elbowthan on your wrist.
If the string is slapping your wrist you need to roll your hand in a little to get your forearm farther away from the path of the string. The heel of your palm between your thumb and fore finger at about a 45degree angle should be the only part of your hand touching the riser grip.
If you have to canter your head over that much to see thru the peep while properly anchoring the string to the side of your nose the peep or sightor bothis in the wrong location.or either your eyes are on the side of your head

you can choose to improve your form or you can continue to make excuses, your choice we will respect which ever decesion you decide to make

Now go shoot your bow[8D]

Old 10-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

BGfisherwrote: I'm not a fan of the "bent elbow". I'd rather see a straight bow arm, but not locked. Bone to bone contact is much more steady than using muscles to hold the bow.
I experimented with my Highlander and dropped the length half an inch but it felt tooinconsistent and uncomfortable so i went back to my normal DL and i have to agree with BGfisher it feels way better and more comfortable to have a straight or nearly straight elbow,it will make you more consistent on your shooting and anchor points.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bigpapascout

I agree with outlander and fisher!
drop down your poundage and adjust your draw length and use a wrist support, By not gripping the bow this will take pressure off the wrist besides there is more pressure on your shoulder and elbowthan on your wrist Provided you are shooting a bow set at the proper draw length.
If the string is slapping your wrist you need to roll your hand in a little to get your forearm farther away from the path of the string.
The heel of your palm between your thumb and fore finger at about a 45degree angle should be the only part of your hand touching the riser grip.
If you have to canter your head over that much to see thru the peep while properly anchoring the string to the side of your nose the peep or sightor bothis in the wrong location.or either your eyes are on the side of your headwhich they dont look like they are.

you can choose to improve your form or you can choose tocontinue to make excuses, Nevertheless it is your choice we will respect which ever decesion you decide to make

Now go shoot your bow[8D]
Old 10-22-2006, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with some of the posts.

No arrow nocked. You should always nock an arrow to prevent dry firing.

Your wrist sling looks too tight. A tight wrist sling causes torque. You want it loose. It's there just to keep your bow from falling after the shot.

Right now, I only see 2 anchor points. You need at least one more; your nose. You'll need to lengthen your draw a little, just enough to get the string on your nose.

Yourarm looks to be bentjust a smidge too much. It does look good though. A bent arm, as I'm sure you know, does a few things; you don't whack your arm, it reduces left/right movement and also reduces stress to your shoulder.

*For you guys that shoot straight arm, it's just one of those things where you have to build up the muscle. You don't see guys shooting their long guns with straight arms. It's the same principle.

If you're worried that a longer draw will mess up your anchor, because of your release being so long, change to another release.Lengthening that draw a bitreally will help. I shoot with a T.R.U. Ball Short 'N Sweet. I love the adjustability of the head and it's more of a hook than caliper. I can slip the "hook" onto my loop without ever taking my eyes off the target/deer.

I like the beard. Keep it.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Monie

Yourarm looks to be bentjust a smidge too much. It does look good though. A bent arm, as I'm sure you know, does a few things; you don't whack your arm, it reduces left/right movement and also reduces stress to your shoulder.

*For you guys that shoot straight arm, it's just one of those things where you have to build up the muscle. You don't see guys shooting their long guns with straight arms. It's the same principle.
Sorry I do not agree. there is nothing similar about shooting a rifle and shooting a BOW just as the principals between shooting a hand gun and a rifle are different.a bent arm is poor form and does not allow you to utelize your full draw lwngth potential plus it makes you less accurate
if you are slapping your wrist with the string due to a proper draw length becausethe arm is strait the bow is being held incorrectly thus causing the string to slap the fore arm.

there are no in betweens either you have poor form or you have proper form.
can a person hit what they are aiming for using improper form? sure nevertheless it is poor form.

anyone can have a good form as long as they are willing to take construvtive criticisim and drop their bad habbits and replace them with the correct techniques to achieve the correct posture.

I hate to sound harsh
but sometimes the cold hard truth is hard to take[X(]

Old 10-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Monie, I'll agree with you on one point. One that I saw and forgot to comment about. The wrist sling is too tight. As for developing muscles that hold the bow? About the only muscles that should be doing any real work are the back muscles themselves. And these to hold at full draw---not hold the bow up.

I think that Bigpapascout and I are on the same page. Although I agree with the idea of people making excuses, he does have a way of saying it better than I. However, I don't see much justification in asking for constructive criticism if it's not going to be heeded anyway. This is where many guys fall short of achieving decent goals, not only in archery, but in life. The desire to better one's self comes at a price. It's partly desire, but also the willingness to act on the advice given---and give the body and mind time to adjust to something new.

Rome wasn't built in a day, as the saying goes. Well, good shooting form is not learned in a day, or a month or......

Hell, Ive been shooting compounds for 32+ years and still learning new tricks. Some work for me and some don't, but I don't dismiss ideas out of ignorance or bull headedness.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your draw length definately look's too short for you ,considering your elbow is bent so low ,Keep that bow arm up and slightly bent .

nubo
Old 10-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're not beingharse at all I welcome all comments as long as they are not rude or disrepectful.

I guess I'm not understanding what you mean by full draw length potential. Could you explain that please.

Also, exactly what is the proper form and who was it that determined this way of shooting to be proper? I'm not being smart alecky, I seriously would like to know.

Quick Reply: Critique my form........Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.