Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

question for you??

Old 10-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default question for you??

Why can't bow manufacturers speed rate there bows in real world conditions these days...And be a little more honest with the other specs as well???...by real world i mean with something simular to most peoples set-up(60lbs pull...29 inch draw...465 grain arrow with 4 inch fletch...10 yards down range...at least i think this is fairly close to the avg joe hunter's set-up) i think hunters would commend a company for doing this...what do you guys think
Old 10-19-2006, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: question for you??

or you could just learn to subtract about 40fps from IBO speed and come pretty close to a full hunting rigs speed. not trying to be a smart @$$...but thats kinda unfair STILL. i shot a 370gr 27 inch arrow. i shoot a 28 inch draw set at 70lbs. i like a peep, nock, loop and leeches on my string. see what i mean?? we all like somethin diffrent. the manufactures would have to go adjust their bows etc delaying things even more. and we all know a fully maxed out bow shoots at its best performance level. the way they do it now makes sense and keeps everything even between them all. if they went and tried to set it up like a hunting rig guys would still complain because they shoot shorter draws etc...
Old 10-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont know.... i would like to still see something more realistic is all im saying...shooting a bow @70lbs with 31inch draw and a 300 grain arrow @point blank range with no fletch isnt realistic...who cares if your bow shoots 1,000,000fps when it has to be shot under such unreal circumstances as this...I understand exactly what your saying about variables but some people actually think they have a bow that shoots 310 feet a second when they are only shooting 245 in real life...i dont think the manufacturer should contribute to misleading people this way(trust me there are alot ofshooters out there that dont know whats really going on)

I shoot a martin prowler se @57lbs and 28.5 inch draw...my arrow weight is around 410grains. it tested at 230fps a yard down range.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Because no one has the exact same set up and specs and the next person.

I have a 30" draw and pull 70 poundsand would get real close to IBO rating of 325ifI wanted to shoot a 350 grain arrow. However, I shoot a 500 grain arrow and get 275 fps.

IBO standard is 30" draw, 70 pound draw weight shooting a 350 grain arrow with nothing on the string.

AMO standard is 30" draw, 60 pound draw weight and shooting a 540 grain arrowwith nothing on the string.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do all manufacturers rate with ibo/amo??? i've seen rating that didn't specify before
Old 10-19-2006, 12:48 PM

But really, whose fault is it that some bowhunters are uninformed. The bow manufacturers have a fair and level system that people can understand if they care to learn. It is consistant in it's methodology and reporting. If a guy buys a bow, and thinks it will shoot 330 fps when he leaves the bow shop, I would be more inclined to say that that local pro should have educated him instead of blaming the manuf. But even that leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, because we, as a people, always want someone else to blame. At what point are we to take responsibility for our own education.

Some people may get aggrivated at some of the questions I ask on these threads, or how detailed I might make things, but at least I am trying to learn the parts I do not know about, and educate myself about the sport I love and the tools with which I use to partake in this sport.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and I have never met an an instant expert.

Me thinks the blame lays squarely upon myself.

God Bless.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigbulls that is no longer AMOit is ATA standards now.
by using ATA standards you can get a better idea of a what a realistic speed would be for a hunting set up.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'm not blaming anyone??? just asking why not do this...for the simple reason that most people dont like things that are "overrated"...just saying that i think they should be a little more modest with there ratings.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

my guess is 90% of hunters will never taste 300fps with their hunting rig in their lifetime
Old 10-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

AC I am shooting well over 300 FPS, 345 FPSto be exactbut I also use light arrows.

Quick Reply: question for you??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.