Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Prices

Old 10-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bow Prices

What percent of people actually use their warrenties and customer service...those 2 contribute a very small amount into the price of a bow...imo. They are making bows faster and for less money than ever these days...but we are dumb enough to pay record prices(so they can have record earnings)for these products. some companies costomer service is almostnon existent...leaving the retailer to pick up the slack...with that in mind maybe the retailer is jacking up the prices.
Wow, I've heard of many companies ready and willing to replace limbs or even a bow at no cost to the customer.

I had a Parker that went through two sets of limbs within two years, the company never blinked. I ended up getting rid of it not because of the companies customer service but I couldn't rely on the bow. Especially when packing it in miles in the mountains.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

im sorry..... i classify that as warranty...(my fault for not explaining)..not costomer service. costomer service is them calling backand asking how you like your new bow...can we do anything else...answer the phonepromptly....ect ect... SOMETIMES THEY WEASEL OUT OFwarraty...sometimes not. customer service does'nt involve legal issues...WARRANTY does.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I tend to agree with most statements made regarding warrenty and such, I guess I'm still not convinced about the ever increasing price hikes. The subject of petroleum products was brought up. I haven't recalled the prices of limb savers and such going up at all the past several years.

I guess I understand things go up in price, just hope it doesn't continue to climb at the pace it has been.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Hoyt is 3 years old now. It has a 7 1/4" brace height and shoots 310 IBO. It is smooth and accurate. I can't see the new bows being that much better than the one I got - at least not $700 better!

I haveconsidered is selling my Razortec and getting a Bowtech Allegiance. I'd like to get parallel limbs and some more speed. Maybe in 2 years I'll buy a used Allegiance for 200 bucks on ebay!
Old 10-20-2006, 04:06 AM

In an industry as competitive as this, you can be sure that the price is as low as it can be. I'm not saying it can't come down, because it can if manufacturing efficiencies improve, or if they find new, cheaper materials. However, for the current state of affairs, the price is where it should be.

In a market economy, if there was room to make money and undercut the exising companies, someone would do it. In fact, it's done to a small degree, but the prices difference is almost always within 10-20% on bows made of similar materials and design. Established companies with cutting-edge designs can always charge more for some models. However, the competition on these top end bows is quite fierce by itself.

There have been plenty of bow companies going out of business in the past. If their profit margins were that high, they certainly would still be selling bows. Not a single one, would close their doors without lowering the price first, in an effort to remain viable. That is, if there was any room to lower. You can rest assured that in an industry where there are many competitors (the bow industry qualifies), their will be many fine products with the price about as low as it can be.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

My take on bow prices? Haahahhhaahahahahahahaha!

New bow designs every year means a lot of research and development costs, and that has to be paid for by SOMEBODY. Used to be we'd expect something new every 3-5 years and prices were a LOT less.

Bow warranties that cover arrows down to 5 grains per pound? You, the consumer, asked for it because they advertised "IBO Speeds" to suck you in. Shooting arrows that light means more bows are going to need warranty work. Used to be warranties went down to only 6 gpp and bow prices were a LOT less.

Fancy film dipped camo in licensed patterns costs a lot! Back when we bought a solid color bow and camo'd it ourselves with a fewcolors of spray paint, prices were a LOT less.

Practically everyone hasbeen ledto the belief that they MUST have a fancy machined aluminum riser and that cast or forged risers are cheap junk.True to some extent with cast risers, totally false when talking forged risers. Those machined risers are pricey and forged risers are much less expensive but forged risers make a very good bow. IMO, every bit as good as a machined riser bow and even better than machinedin some ways. Anyway, before the consumer stampede to machined aluminum risers, bow prices were a LOT less.

There are other examples, but my fingers are tired.The basic idea is.... When you gripe about bow prices, you gotta remember that you asked for it. [&:]

Oh, and one other thing... I have to admit that Mathewswas the industry leader in this price hike business. P.T.Barnum would've been proud of their marketing strategy! They created a mystique around their single cam format, put a whopping price tag on it and people (or'the sheep-le" [8D])just flocked to it. "If it costs this much, it HAS to be the best!"Before the other manufacturers saw how much Mathews could get consumers to pay for a bow, bow prices were a LOT less.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good post Arthur....I wonder how much Film dipped camo adds to the price of a bow? thats one thing i could do without. i kind of like the old bows with the stenciled leaf patterns on them....the bigger patterns break up the outline better...the new camos just look nice on the rack.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:17 AM

Hey how do we get Arthur P one of those bucky, stampy thingies on his post? Nicely written!