Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

stabilizers..

Old 10-19-2006, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default stabilizers..

right now i have a NAP shockblocker 500 on my Reflex Highlander. ive shot it on and off and definently noticed a diffrence. i like it much better on. but the other day i was waxing the sting and wondered if it balanced it any. its got a little weight but not much and its pretty short. for the balance test i tried to balance the riser on my finger about where the rest is. i noticed that its pretty unbalanced and falls towards the upper end of the bow where the sights are. would i have a better balanced bow with a heavier stabilizer or no?? is there any way to figure out how long or heavy will be best? just curious..it feels OK but just trying to get it feeling great by next year. i bet with the right stuff on it itll feel like a top dollar bow...i know too heavy will tend to pull me down..but wondering if theres not a way to figure out a perfect balance...it IS my hunting bow and other then backyard shooting and hopefully 3d shoots around here thats all its used for...but i like my accuracy and like a good feeling weapon in my hands.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: stabilizers..

Does the NAP take away some of the shock? I am using a X ring solid stabilizer and i plan on putting a cobra shockbuster behind it.My Xring looks something like theCobra stabilizer.

Shock buster-----^
Old 10-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

if the Stab is light it will do very little in the way counterballance

you will need a little longer stab with the weight in the end of the stab forthem to be better suited as a counter ballance
Old 10-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

lunker hunter...yes it does take some of the shock out. the one thing i noticed without it is more a jump/kick from it. it has some rubber but its filled with some kind of powder that is supposed to eat up the shock. for what it costs id say it works....just looking to balance that sucker out. its not terribly unbalanced..but it would feel like a dream if it was perfectly balanced.

bigpapa..thats what i figured. its not EXTREMELY light..forget the weight..10oz maybe? i duno. but it is only 5 or 6 inches long. id be willing to go upto a foot long if it works. id have to screw it in every hunt but big deal...why have almost a 5 or 6 inch paper wieght on the end of my bow thats not very effective?? i wonder if a shop wont let me test run them...hmmm
Old 10-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Well heres my bow and the tabilizer,its only 4" long and i figure with the shockbuster it should go up to 6" it weighs around 10 OZ.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

mauser06
I would recomend getting a quick disconnect if you opt for a longer stabelizer this wayyou will have some peace of mindabout stripping threads where the stab screws in and will eleminate the hastle of screwing and unscrewing every time you take it out of the case.
I dont see why your local shop wouldn't let you try them out to see which you like bedt, that is just good customer relations and should be practiced IMO

I probably use one of the lightest stabs you can put on a bow (A 4" Tranquilizer)
because the Newberry B1is perfectly ballanced it really dont need any counter ballance for hunting purposes and just something else to get caught on brush.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

lunker...nice bow...looks familiar what kinda string is that?? the factory one IMO is garbage. my shurz-a-peep gives me heck..i gota align it every day..or make sure its aligned at full draw. and its fraying already! i just bought it in...august. granted i got probably 4000 shots through it i wax religiously and take care of it. looking for a good custom string for when i do my make over...i know gibblet on the boards makes them..

bigpapa...i never heard of a quick disconnect. makes sense though..ill have to look into that. i do agree short stabilizers are nice for hunting...but when i take my stabilizer off and try to balance it on my finger there NO balance..so i need SOMETHING.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks,yes sir the stock strings do stink,I got my bow in March and as you can see i had to replace the stringsalso,i think it was more a problem with my drop away which I'm hoping is fixed,i got the string here in Chicago at at shop.The peep pretty much stays put i haven't had a problem with it,i mean sometimes it moves but its not a biggie to me.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:58 PM

Yea most shops will let you test different stabs to get one that balances the bow the best. After all that is the main purpose of a stablizer.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:19 PM

I use the Mini S-Coil from SIMS Vibration Laboratories. I love it. I use all of SIMS dampening products, and my bow is Q-U-I-E-T!....And shock-free.......I could tape an egg to one of my limbs, and I bet it wouldn't crack.

Quick Reply: stabilizers..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.