Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

need some quick insight/assistance - broadhead-fletching alignment

Old 10-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default need some quick insight/assistance - broadhead-fletching alignment

I will be getting my arrows set up tonite and was wondering what peoples' opinions were on aligning my 3 blade Muzzys with my fletchings. Is it worth the time to rotate my inserts? Does it help arrow flight? Any info, insight, advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:41 AM

Default RE: need some quick insight/assistance - broadhead-fletching alignment

Doesn't matter a hoot, just make sure the broadhead is aligned with the shaft.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:06 PM

I believe that it does matter. Align the three blades of the broadhead with the fletching. If you don't want to rotate the insert, put a small rubberband, like the ones the dentists use, on the end of your broadhead. This will allow the ferrel to move a little more and you can align the head.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never seen any evidence that aligning the blades with the fletching helps. Now that I shoot 4 blade heads with 3 fletch arrows, I suppose I'm sunk
Old 10-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think you have to worry about aligning the broadhead with the fletching.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kodiak is absolutely right: It doesn't matter one iota as far as the relationship between the blades and fletching. The notion that it does is an old wive's tale.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am in the dont matter camp also

However I do it any way
because my broad head comes up on the shelf at full draw

I shoot index fletch up so aligning the head up with the fletching gives me a little better clearance.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with the majority and 30+ years of shooting has proven it out for me. But, being as you are going to be fletching the shafts anyway it wouldn't hurt. I would just install the broadhead to the shaft and index the nocks so that the blades are all in the same orientation, then fletch away.

And by the way, each broadhead will have to go back on the same shaft as it came off if you should remove them. This where numbering your shaft comes in handy. Then all you need to do is stick a piece of tape on the broadhead numbering it for it's respective shaft.

I never remove mine. Once on the shaft and spin-tested they stay there. And I only make up three arrows anyway. I figure if I need more than that then I need to do some serious self-asskicking.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:47 AM

Now BG, that is something I would really love to be there to see..LOL

But seriously, This is the first time I have heard of numbering and matching shafts and heads.

What exactly do you guys me when you speak of making sure the B.H. is aligned with the shaft, as Kodiak spoke of?

Good hunting and God Bless

Old 10-13-2006, 11:29 AM

It's the same thing as having bad front end alignment in your car. If the insert and shaft aren't perfectly true with the broadhead then it will wobble when the shaft is spun. You want to be sure that this doesn't happen or the arrow won't fly true since the broadhead will be steering the arrow off center. This is the reason for trueing the ends of your arrows before installing your inserts. If your broadhead alignment isn't true you can switch heads until you find an arrow/head combination that is true, heat and rotate the insert (if installed with hotmelt) or retrue/ camfer the end of the shaft (if using HIT arrows).

Quick Reply: need some quick insight/assistance - broadhead-fletching alignment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.