Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

need some quick insight/assistance - broadhead-fletching alignment

Old 10-15-2006, 08:28 PM

Default RE: need some quick insight/assistance - broadhead-fletching alignment

I find it interesting that almosteveryone is concerned about the broadhead spining correctly but seem to ignore the straightness of the rest of the arrow.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

I find it interesting that almosteveryone is concerned about the broadhead spining correctly but seem to ignore the straightness of the rest of the arrow.
Very true Len but I think that would show up in the spin test for me. Great tip tho, make sure to check the arrows as well.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not so, Len.It's a matter of starting off with the basics. Checking the arrows for straightness is one of the basic things I do when selecting my hunting arrows. If an arrow isn't straight, it doesn't get a broadhead mounted on it in the first place.

Straightness is one of the reasons I have such an overwhelming preference for aluminum arrows over carbon for my hunting arrows. Even the cedar arrows I use on my longbow are straighter and more consistent in spinethan most of the carbons I've run across.

Oops! There I go dragging another issue into the fray. Spine?!? [8D]
Old 10-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oops! There I go dragging another issue into the fray. Spine?!? [8D]

Shame on you Arthur
Old 10-16-2006, 08:06 PM

Not so fast there, Arthur. The key part of the sentence is ".... [almost] everyone"..... And you're the one who brought up spine which, by the way, is the second most important factor of an arrow. I had an in-depth conversation about this last year at the ATA Showwitha major spine testing equipment manufacturer.

Straightness is one of the reasons I have such an overwhelming preference for aluminum arrows over carbon for my hunting arrows. Even the cedar arrows I use on my longbow are straighter and more consistent in spinethan most of the carbons I've run across.

If this is the case, you've evidentlynot analyzed products bya few of the 'better' carbon arrow manufacturers. I definitely agree with you on the issue of aluminums being basically straighter; however, other benefits of the carbons can somewhat dictate an effort to 'find the best' in them.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know, Len, carbon has some supposed advantages over aluminum but, frankly, most of those 'advantages' are subjective. Matter of personal preference. When it comes to spending my money,I can't hardly bring myself to spend a whopping sum on some of the 'better' carbon arrows when I can get very good, dependablealuminum arrows that yieldpractically 100% broadhead-capable arrows pernumbers boughtfor the same price as the cheapo carbons.. which have provided a yield percentage of practically zero for me.

By the way... I was watching Monday Night Football tonight while working some heavily used, five-year-old 2315's through my arrow straightener. I'mtalkingHEAVILY used.... to the point wherethe anodize has worn off down to bare metal on the first few inches of each shaft!Most were straight within +/- .001. A few were tweaked out to +/- .005. Two were visibly bent, one +/- .013 and the other +/- .022. ALL my 2315's, even the bent ones,are now within +/- .001.

I don't care how much you spend on carbons, you can't straighten 'em back to factory tolerances or better once they're crooked. Advantage aluminum.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Very true Len but I think that would show up in the spin test for me. Great tip tho, make sure to check the arrows as well.
Rob, with all due respect, I don't think that the spin test ispreciseenough for theaverage archer. Guys like you, Len and othersmay be able to see the tinywobble but I can't. But the average guy (and I put myself in that catagory) doesn't see enough arrows to recognize the ones that are marginal.

Recently Iset up a jig to check straightness over the entire length of my arrows and found that even the ones that appeared to meto spin straight were off more thanI would want for a broadhead.

Maybe it's good enough, but more precision can't hurt.