Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

need some quick insight/assistance - broadhead-fletching alignment

Old 10-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: need some quick insight/assistance - broadhead-fletching alignment

Doesn't matter at all. Doesn't hurt if you do it either, as long as you can align the blades and still get the head to spin true. Having the broadhead spin true is the only thing I worry about. Let the blades line up however they want.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

And there ya have it... from THE MAN!
Old 10-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Think about the mathmatical calculations that you would have to get figured out before you could actually get the fletchings and blades to fly through the same air. And this would be in a 100% controled environment.

Now change the direction of the wind, speed of the wind, RPM's of the arrow, length of the arrow, air density, humidity, arrow mass, etc... etc... and all of those former calculations would get thrown right out of the window.

To summarize............. It is absolutely impossible to get the baldes and fletchings to fly through the same air in the woods.

Make sure the broadhead does not wobble any when you spin it on its arrow and go shooting.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

I've found out the hard way if your bow isn't tuned well and your arrows are perfect the flight of broadheads can be quite erratic Just a lesson learned the hard way
Old 10-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have read the post and still dont understand getting the "broadhead to spin true" thing...could you explain this in a even more simplified manner for a dummy like me to understand...

I hear guys talk about it and feel stupid because nobody ever showed me what to look for...

i've never had trouble gettin my huntin heads to group well...so ive never really worried about it....

are you guys talking about the insert being properly centeredinside the shaft
Old 10-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Exactly. That is what is meant by spinning true. If the insert is not properly seated/centered it will cause broadhead wobble and the broadhead will want to plane off. Spin will decrease this effect and why good quality fletch with a helical or offset is necessary
Old 10-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Exactly. That is what is meant by spinning true. If the insert is not properly seated/centered it will cause broadhead wobble and the broadhead will want to plane off. Spin will decrease this effect and why good quality fletch with a helical or offset is necessary
O.k so how would i notice if it wasn't if the arrow insert wasn't centered and the broadheads wobble....in other words whats the best way to tell...
ROll your shaft with broadhead on a flat surface and watch the tip? shafts and tables are never perfectly strait and level....

P.S..... i always use a fairly extreme helical fletch on my arrows its just a mfer with skinny carbons
Old 10-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

O.k so how would i notice if it wasn't if the arrow insert wasn't centered and the broadheads wobble....in other words whats the best way to tell...
ROll your shaft with broadhead on a flat surface and watch the tip? shafts and tables are never perfectly strait and level....
Just spin them. You can put the tip of the broadhead on a flat surface, or some people use the tip of their finger, and spin the shaft. You will notice if the broadhead wobbles or if it spins fine. Another way is to use an arrow spinner, a simple device with rollers on both ends, you place the arrow in it and spin. If you notice the broadhead wobble, there's a problem.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks... i'll give that a try.... but when they spin straight i'm gonna think im not doin it right...and keep doin it till i think they aren't spinnin straight...just a little issue i always seem to have when tinkerin"thats not right is it or isnt it...hey come here and look at this...what do you think?....is it?...are you sure?...let me try again...see anything?....you do it....are you sure that your lookin at it right?.... give it back,i'l do it....what do you think?let me see...you do it again...??? dammit!!!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

I have had experience where the blades on montecs had to be opposite vanes. I always heat glue mine so I can adjust. I'm sure it doesn't matter in all cases, but I don't gamble so I test mine first if they fly they fly, but I make sure they are all the same.

Quick Reply: need some quick insight/assistance - broadhead-fletching alignment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.