Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What's the point in practicing with field tips?

Old 10-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's the point in practicing with field tips?

ORIGINAL: KBacon

BGfisher... isn't it amazing how fast those huge $400-600 blocks wear out when customers think they have to constantly practice w/ their broadheads?
Tell me about it. Any of the layered targets are not meant to be pounded with blades. It takes chunks out of them pretty fast. Then the guy pisses and moans about the target not lasting.

Tell ya what Kevin. I dug out my hunting bow this year and made a couple small changes (slight anchor point and peep change). Took it out and sighted it in out to 50 yards (moveable sight). Then dug out my GT Pro 22's with heads on them from last year. Fired r arrows from 20 yards, 6 from 30 yards, and 6 from 40 yards. Hva e the same results as last year. Both target points and broadheads are still grouping together almost too nicely. Then I put new blades in the heads and hung the whole bow up for a month. Dug out the target bow to help keep the muscles and feeble mind in shape.

There's just no need to pound broadheads to death for the one or two shots I might get during hunting season---if I'm lucky. The bow shoots where I aim it and I know what it can do and what I can do with it. There is just nothing like a well tuned set of equipment.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

For those that think field tips (target points) are a waste of time I ask this. How long is the hunting season in your state and how much do you actually hunt? Venturing an educated guess I'll say a couple months of the year. The rest of the year is what most people call the "off-season".
That's good point, but consider that this is a hunting forum and most guys practice for hunting, not for target competitions. The problem I see, is not guys practicing too much with broadheads, but the reverse. Most guys pop them on a couple days before the season, take a couple practice shots and they're off to the woods. I would suggest a much greater amount of time spent shooting broadheads and to do it a few times throughout the year.

I may only shoot a very small % of my shots at game, but those are the most important shots I take all year - by far! They are also the only ones that count, and preparation is the key. A person doesn't have to practice year-round with broadheads, but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything if they did. One thing for certain, the average hunter doesn't practice with them enough.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:41 PM

I'm shooting the steelhead 100gr.and I have no difference in impact point. To answer your main question I only practice with my broadheads on my three D target. The steelheads are a little smaller but they are great. I wouldn't change a thing. That's something to try. good luck
Old 10-11-2006, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

For those that think field tips (target points) are a waste of time I ask this. How long is the hunting season in your state and how much do you actually hunt? Venturing an educated guess I'll say a couple months of the year. The rest of the year is what most people call the "off-season".
That's good point, but consider that this is a hunting forum and most guys practice for hunting, not for target competitions. The problem I see, is not guys practicing too much with broadheads, but the reverse. Most guys pop them on a couple days before the season, take a couple practice shots and they're off to the woods. I would suggest a much greater amount of time spent shooting broadheads and to do it a few times throughout the year.

I may only shoot a very small % of my shots at game, but those are the most important shots I take all year - by far! They are also the only ones that count, and preparation is the key. A person doesn't have to practice year-round with broadheads, but it certainly wouldn't hurt anything if they did. One thing for certain, the average hunter doesn't practice with them enough.
That's me to the "T".
Old 10-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Starightarrow,

I think I'll still have to disagree with part of what you said. I still say it's not necessary to practice a lot with broadheads. Put them on the arrows, spin them for concentricity, and do all the other homework. Tune the bow for them and practice for a while. Then put them away and check them again right before going hunting (a day or two).

I will agree that many would do well not only to practice some with broadheads but to just practice---period. Getting the bow out of the closet a week before hunting season just doesn't cut it, IMO.

I'll also put in a comment about this being a hunting forum. Yes, it does say Hunting.net, but this subforum is titled "Technical". Now IMO, one of the problems with hunting today is that all forms of hunting have gotten too technical. There is nothing technical about getting a pair of soft soled shoes on and heading for the woods just to learn about nature's wonders. And I've noticed that the more technical hunting has gotten over the years the less fun it has become. Mainly because we modern day warriors have forgotten how to hunt without the use of modern technical gadgets.