Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Eye Dominance and Archery - Question

Old 10-12-2006, 08:24 AM

Default RE: Eye Dominance and Archery - Question

I was in the market for a new bow this fall, so I just made the switch myself. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could draw a lot more weight left-handed than I had expected. I imagine a lot of that has to do with having one of my kids on my left arm so often, though!

I'm still hunting with my righty bow this year, but over the winter and spring I'm going to focus on the lefty and move my best accessories over to that bow.

The real reason that I made the switch is that I want to be able to shoot with both eyes open. I hunt in a blind in the woods, and it's toooo hard to see through my peep towards dusk. Once I'm comfortable with the new bow, I'm putting a No Peep on it and getting rid of my peep site altogether.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

this is a highly debated subject
keep shooting your rig and wear an eye patch or keep the dominant eye closed

dispite popular belief it is easier to retrain your eyes than it is to learn how to shoot all over agin.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't want to buy a left-handed bow, then wear a patch over your left eye when you shoot. Your dominance will change to the right eye over a few weeks.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:42 AM

For me, my left eye is also far stronger than my right eye, so it still makes more sense for me to switch to left-handed. That's something that you need to figure into your decision as well.

I still think that if you've been shooting a rifle lefty all your life, you'll find that shooting a bow lefty feels much more natural. When I tried it, I realized that my arms are in the same basic position as when I shoot my rifle. The right arm is extended out and the left hand is pulling the trigger up near my face.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Switch.........I shot for about 5 years before I switched. Its not easy right at first......but you will get it! Start with low poundage, go slow and concentrate on mechanics. Next season you'll be happy!

Good Luck!
Old 10-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

I have the same problem with eye dominance. Right handed shooter left eye dominate. I was doing fine until someone told me to hold both eyes open. When I do this sometimes the arrow flies in mysterious directions to say the least. Now the left eye stays closed. I agree it's easier,and a lot less expensive, to close your eye.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I aim with one eye and am dead nuts on target, if I aim with both eyes open I cant hit the broad side of a barn!
its funny how manypeople will tell you it is better to aim and shoot with both eyes open which could not be further from the truth, best for who? maybe for the person who shoots with both eyes open but not for the person who has learned to shoot with one eye closed even if you do not have eye dominance issues you may find it a whole lot easier to focus with one eye closed than both open.

for example my step father always trys to ascert his "Authority" concerning how much better of a shot a person is if they use both eyes to aim yet I will smoke his rear end every time we go to the shooting range.

my advice is to shoot how you feel comfortable and what gives you the best resultsand never mind these myths of one track mind thinking. it will also save you some money buying a bow that is wrong handed for you. JMHO