Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrows curving?

Old 10-09-2006, 01:00 PM

Default arrows curving?

im not sure if this is me or my arrows but at times i will occasionally have arrows curve at the last second before hitting the target and hit on an angle into the target. I feel like i must be releasing incorrectly at times but i think it could also be my arrows. the arrows look straight and the fletching is not messed up so im not sure.... anyone know the problem? also, my peep site sometimes is crooked when i am at full draw on deer and i have trouble seeing the target. right now i have just been spinning the string with my fingers to help it a little but i feel i shouldnt have to do that. any suggestions on help with this? this makes seeing my target at low light horrible... it causes me to miss at times also
Old 10-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: arrows curving?

The arrow problem first. Are they the right spine for the length and bow weight? Arrows spined too light will often do this. For a checl you can try turning a turn or two off the limbs and see if it improves. OR, have you spun the arrows to see if the broadhead lines up with the shaft? Crooked inserts can cause the head to seat crooked in relation to the shaft and cause your problem. OR, what fletching are you using? The fletching should have enough surface area to stabilize the arrow in flight, and it MUST be put on either straight/offset or helical to spin the arrow--same as riflings in a barrle do to a bullet and for the same reason.

As for the peep. You have a couple choices here also. Either use one with a rubber peep aligner or get a good string on the bow that will not twist as the bow is drawn. The peep is not the problem. It's the string. PM Gibblet and order a complete set and if installed correctly peep rotation will be a thing of the past along with string creep. The use a peep with a big hole such as the 1/4" or 5/16" one from G5 or the Magnum Hunter version from True Peep.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:07 PM

i would have to agree with BGfisher. Make sure the arrow has the correct spine for your bow and make sure you have the correct fletching. If you are shooting broadheads, make sure they are aligned with the fletch. If you don't the broadhead will cause the arrow to plain off at the last second. As for the peep...use a peep with a large hole. Also, tie down the peep to the string. Tie on bushing on top of and below the peep. This will stop the peep travel...it did for me.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:43 PM

1. Number your arrows so that you can identify if it's a bad shaft.
2. If you're a finger shooter (as I suspect); stop spinning the string before you draw, it's causing you to have a bad release. Get your peep properly installed and aligned.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:41 PM

thanks for the help guys. next time i shoot i will check all this out and let you know. i use a release im not a finger shooter. im at college so i cant check if the fletching is lined up with the broadheads but i hav a strong feeling that is the problem
Old 10-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd like to add when you spin test your arrows, be sure to spin test both the point end & the nock end. Especially if you are shooting carbon shafts, and of the cheaper variety. Make yourself a jig if need be. Simply V-notch out a couple of pieces of wood, and fasten them to a bottom base. Mark a dot on a wall, and spin both ends to see if spin perfectly. Its important to check the nock end as well, it can be off just as easily as the point end. I've done this with every carbon shaft I've ever bought, and you'd be amazed at how many are off. I sometimes have only found 8-9 shafts in a dozen that are perfectly straight. Do mark each shaft with a number to keep track.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are using large diamiter cut Broadheads that is more than likely the culprit
the easiest fix would be to get a smaller diamiter Head.
or you could use4" or 5" feather fletching to stabelize the stunt plane but that is old schoolstuff that will only slow the arrow down

if you are experiencing this problem shooting field points then that opens a whole other can of worms which could be weak arrows to bad gripto misaligned arrow rest.
the possibilitys are endlesjust have to do a systematic process of elemination

But I would start at the sticking end of the arrow try some different heads and see if that helps+.