Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Degree of Offset Fletching?

Old 09-22-2006, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Degree of Offset Fletching?

What degree do you set your offset fletchings? I am about to start fletching my own arrows. I am going to fletchwith blazers. I read where some people offset at 2 degrees and others at 4 degrees. Is one better than the other? What is the difference in arrow performance? Thanks for the help!
Old 09-22-2006, 12:07 PM

Default RE: Degree of Offset Fletching?

The more offset you use the more rotation you'll impart to the shaft and the more stability you'll gain, but it comes at the price of more drag, less speed and generally more noise. The amount of offset used to be limited by the arrow shaft diameter and the spacing of your rest prongs so that you could get the vanes through the rest without contact. With shorter vanes like the Blazers and the new fall-away or shoot through rests that isn't as critical. Personally, if I was shooting a fall away I'd go with a more aggressive offset and with a shoot through (Whisker Biscuit) I'd go less aggressive due to the vanes dragging harder when they hit the bristles.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, Kodiak gave some good advice. With my fallaways I'm using nowadays, I offset as hard as I can and still maintain fletch contact with the shaft. (Actually, I'm using helical these days ... but the point is the same.)
Old 09-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Yep, Kodiak gave some good advice. With my fallaways I'm using nowadays, I offset as hard as I can and still maintain fletch contact with the shaft. (Actually, I'm using helical these days ... but the point is the same.)
The same minus the helical. I'd helical with 3" or 4" veins or feathers but with Blazers I offset as hard as I can and still make arrow/vein contact as Greg stated.