Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

getting stingers to spin true?

Old 09-21-2006, 05:39 PM

Default getting stingers to spin true?

My buddy brought over his Magnus 4-blade stingers that I recommended he buy. I use Slick Tricks and they come with a washer that you can spin to different positions to help the head spin true. His didn't come with any washers, and I was at a loss to figure out how to get them spinning absolutely true. He's got Goldtip XT 5575 shafts. Out of 6 only 2 spun perfectly, and the other 4 varied from close enough that I would shoot them to having enough wobble I wouldn't trust them past 15-20 yards max. What can I suggest to get these heads aligned?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: getting stingers to spin true?

That is pretty uncharacteristic of Magnus heads, but if it is truly the head, send them back and they'll replace them pronto. I am fairly certain that Magnus spin tests their heads before they go out the door, but I could be confusing them with another brand that does that.

Before I did any of that though, I would spin the shaft without the head and make sure it spins completely true. Anything that makes the arrow itself not spin true without a BH on it will seem like a very, very small wobble in the shaft. Then it is more pronounced when the broadhead is attached and is easier to see; that is, if it is not the broadhead. The other thing I would try that has made an enormous difference in how my arrows are balanced and spin is using a G5 ASD on the inserts to square the faces up. Even if there is a slight inperfection in the way the ferul meets up with the face of the insert, you will get a wobble. The ASD is one of the best arrow tools to come down the pike in a long, long time.