Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dropping the Biscuit for Muzzy

Old 09-21-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Dropping the Biscuit for Muzzy

I could never get my BH's up close enough to my field points to satisfy me. My drop was a good 2-3 feet lower and 1-2 feet after I made some tiller adjustments. My groups were great though. I was gonna leave it alone and just adjust my sights down but this morning I had an arrow shatter on me. It was a Carbon Beman 340 ICS.

Well a call to the pro shop to get some Easton A/C's and off I went. It sounded like a gun went off in my hand when the arrow broke. I actually believe it shattered after it left the bow. I got a few splinters in my hand either at the shot or while pinking up the broken arrow but other wise ok. Safety is a number one concern and no hunt is worth an injury. I would rather skip the first few weeks with the bow and get set up with safer equipment than risk and injury to myself and others.

The arrow may have failed due to my having heated the fletch end the night before in order to straighten out my rippled vanes. I didn't go crazy with this but maybe it was a reason for the otherwise ok arrow to break like it did. I flex tested it a few days before and it was ok but I had shot it several times today before it broke.

Anyway, while talking to the shop I came to the conclusion a Muzzy drop away might be more in line with the type of rest I ultimately need. I liked my WB and didn't have a problem with it other than my nose diving BH's. It was quiet and easy to tune for centershot. I just couldn't get my elevation right enough to keep it from slightly porpoising my BH's. I moved my knock up and down to extreme lenghts but at best could only muster a great BH group still around 1-2 feet lower than my FP's.

The Muzzy looks good and seems to have the best of all worlds containment, drop away and tuneability. Besides Greg's review along with the pro shop's recommendation drew me in.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:59 PM

Default RE: Dropping the Biscuit for Muzzy

Lemme give a quick thanks to Jerry's indoor archery in Ocala, Fla.. I live an hour away and had to send a buddy of mine to drop the bow off today to get this worked out so I could shoot this weekend. I fully expected to get the bow tomorrow as they were very busy being so close to Fla. archery season. I would have had to get my buddy to drive the hour again to pick the bow up for me as I am stuck at work.

Even though they were backed up a great deal they had my bow set up and ready along with a dozen new arrows cut for my new rest before my friend had time to finish lunch and head back home. The bow is back on its way to me and I am looking forward to shooting it tonight.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My drop was a good 2-3 feet lower and 1-2 feet after I made some tiller adjustments
SO, let me get this straight, your arrows with broadheads, impact 2'-3' below arrows with field points, and it's simply because you have a WG rest on your bow? I'd be willing to bet that there's something else wrong!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:04 PM

Changed rests and my BH's impact right with me FP's. Since I got this thing I have broken the knock off several arrows and shaved the fletch off others. I likely did have another problem but the WB just wouldn't tune for me.

The drop away tuned very quickly and allows me several different fletch options. I am currently shooting a 3' vane. I may eventually switch to a Helical but my flight is great currently and the 3' stabilizes my BH's just fine. I shot all day today and my consistency and accuracy is better that it has been all summer. I am in awe of the Muzzy.

My one gripe about it has to do with the attachement to the riser. It can be overtightened very easily and doing so on my bow causes the rest to drop too slow to clear the fletch. A better attachement point with some type of bearing for the arm to ride upon would be ideal. As it is now mine is a little loose which works fine but allows a minute jiggle. I probably could tighten it a bit but I want to make sure my vanes clear.

Not downing a WB btw, I just found a better option for me.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Fork Horn

I am also making the switch from the WB to the Muzzy - and I also have experienced some nose-diving with the WB.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally think you made a great choice and will be very happy. I have been shooting a muzzy since they first came out and have never had even one problem I LOVE IT