Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

sharpening broadheads

Old 09-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default sharpening broadheads

Howdy,

Looking for some solid info on sharpening boadheads. I'm just back into bow hunting after a 16 year hiatus (don't ask) and want to make sureI have someof the best up to date opinions about this.

I'm sure as with all of these tech questions there are lots of opinions and also levels of how fanatic/serious you are about your set-up but here goes anyways.

I elected to shoot Montec's G-5's. What can go wrong with a solid piece of steel, right? Expandables might not open, Individual blades could pop out (unlikely) so thats my reason for choosing the G-5's

Now my questions;

Can you trust the sharpness of your broadheads out of the box? Or should you sharpen them before you evenTHINK about shooting at an animal?

What is a good sharpening stone/device cost and what are some good name brands?

What are somehints/tips for sharpening? is it foolproof? (nothingever seems to be with Murphy always lurking)

Would any of you ever considerusing a boradhead that has been sitting out on yourbenchfor a year, you then put it in an arrow and shoot it at your block adozen times and THEN decide to shoot a deer with it without sharpening?

Would you ever shoot a broadhead at a deer that you haven't at least checked onceat a target?

I shot my first montec a dozen times at a block last year and then the following morning double-lunged a nice 8-pointer at 16 yards with it, total pass through. Was that dumb?

My guess is that if you find something that you like buy six of them, practice with three and save the other three for the real deal.

I knowI've posted a lot of questions, anyadvice/opinions are welcome, I'd just like to learn and be the best prepared that I could.

HootnScoot
Old 09-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sharpening broadheads

Check this link http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=363806
Old 09-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: sharpening broadheads

Montecs are sharpened by simply laying them on a flat stone and, with a little pressure, push them foward making sure that you do it evenly on all thee sides.

That's it. You don't need to do anything special to sharpen a montec. Razor caps are sharpened the same way. Then if you want them even sharper use a strop like in the video and pull rearward.