Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

proper arrow spine info - relisted

Old 09-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: proper arrow spine info - relisted

As far as I'm concerned there should be an AMO standard for marking the spine on arrows.
Wouldn't that be wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imagine everyone being on the same page and actually printing the spine deflection on theshaft.

Heck, Gold tip uses multiple types of ratings on their shafts. Their hunting arrows have the supposed poundage on the shaft (3555, 5575, 7595) and then they have their ultralights printed with the spine deflection.

Then you have Carbon Impact that has 5000, 6000, 6500, and 7000 for their spine ratings.

[8D][&:][8D][&:][8D][&:][8D][&:][8D][&:][8D][&:][8D][&:]
Old 09-19-2006, 01:44 PM

Gentlemen, you have helped me tremendously. B.T.W. I did state something a bit incorrectly myself. I said my draw was 28 1/2 inches. To state things correctly, my arrow length from the end of the insert to the end of the nock is 28 5/8 inches. But from what I have gotten from you all I am still way overspined and should be shooting 200's or 250's. I am buying them today. Thanks guys.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigbulls,

Id not only like to see some standardization on spine deflection, but on variance, too. Ther only tech charts I've seen, and I haven't seen them all, were on ACC's and the tech bulletin stated that the variance in spine of them was .005".

Wouldn't it be nice to know how well those $120/doz, .001" straight, Pro quality arrows are really made?

MIKE,

You didn't make a mistake. Arrows are measured from the deepest part of the nock groove to the end of the shaft, si 28 1/2" is correct. Besides, 1/8" won't make a difference.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:34 PM

Hey BG,

Thanks for the input and the understanding. But I checked with my local shop today and they didn't have anything in m weight range in stock, so I haven't bought yet. In a way I am kinda glad too. Now I get to look at another issue... I read the post about the carbon arrow explosion this evening and WOW did it get my attention..... Now I am rethinking my choice of arrows. I know the likely -hood of that happening to me is slim, but it is possible, so I need to consider all my options. Like easton acc's. Or something like that. Got any input you want to share?? I'm all ears. I may even start another post thread about that issue. Everyone feel free to chime in.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, so now you can log onto www.eastonarchery.com and do some research on the 2006 Full Metal Jacket arrows. These are like an inside-out ACC, the carbon fibers wrapped inside the aluminum. And as I stated when I got in on this thread, look at a .400" spine---LOL.

I own and have shot several different sizes of ACC's and can say they are about as fine a hunting arrow arrow as can be bought within the realm of most wallets.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:14 PM

Thanks BG, You are a man, fast with the reply and quick with a tip. I appreciate your help and knowledge. Thanks for letting me be lazy and putting the link in for me...lol.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:46 AM

O.K. so now I am a little confused. I went to easton site and looked around and checked things out. I see I can get the AXIS FMJ , The A/C superslim, or the superlite A/C/C. But I did not understand what they mean by deflection, and I do not know what is separating one arrow from the other. ( their Differences ). And am I looking for a 400 or 500 shaft, or does it matter? Also, I am at 55 lbs now. Is there one of them in particular which will still be a better choice if and when I can go back up in weight. I may not go back up to 72, but what If I wanted to go back to 65 or so. I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I really did not understand all their charts.... But that might be my pain pills too...LOL

Also, do they come fletched? With Blazers? Do they shoot good with Blazers? Is this about to be an expensive experiment for me???LOL

I found prices on the net for the A/C superslim, and A/C/C, but no one had any information, that I could find, on the Axis FMJ.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike,

Man, you are full of questions aren't you? I'll do the best I can with them.

Deflection relates to arrow spine. Looking at ACC's you'll see that the 3-28 is listed as a .500 spine. I use decimals as this is really the "inches" the arrow deflects when put on a spine tester. I'm using 3-28's as an example because I have them. I also havea technical chart in front of me.

You're running into problem here because you need and arrow for 55# and may want to pop up to 65# later. This in reality means a .500 spine isn't going to work for both. If you get up around 65# you're going to need about a 3-49 (.390 spine) ACC, maybe even a 3-60(.340 spine). And these things aren't cheap.

My suggestion would be to get what you'd need in the future and settle for being overspined for now. It's only temporary, right? In a sense arrows are arrows and most react the same way leaving the bow. You're far better off shooting an overspined arrow than underspined with broadheads Field points could care less. They'll group even if you're underspined by 15#. They'll fly ugly as hell, but still group because they're all doing the same thing. Put blades on the front and they'll be all over the place.

I haven't tried all the others mentioned because they are generally a heavy arrow and I'm a speed freak. And looking at the specs on most Easton arrows turns me off. Straightness of .005" just doesn't make it for me, although I've shot ICS and Litepseeds and the Litespeedswere well within the listed specs; the ICS were so-so. I've gotten rid of all of them. Ditto on the A/C Slims and much ballyhoo'd Axis arrows.

Just as an after thought you could check out Gold Tip/Blackhawk. They have an ACC arrow that compares favorably to ACC's, but at a cheaper cost. The spines are the same, too. How good are they? Haven't shot them so can't say.

Now I'll throw in some more confusion. I am shooting 27" draw and 58# for hunting. My arrows are God Tip 22 Ultralite Pro's, a .300 spine shaft. Think about this. They are a stiff enough spine for me to shoot at about 75# or so; way off the charts on the stiff side. With target point and broadheads they fly like darts. This is an all carbon arrow so may not be to your liking, but I had to throw it in to give you something to think about. These are expensive, but regular Ultralites 22's are cheaper.

Now, who makes fletched arrows? You gotta be kidding everybody does. With Blazers might be a different story. Those you might have to order somewhere and I won't endorse anybody. I've made up my own arrows for 30 years now so am out of touch with that issue. I would recommend one thing though. If you end up with an all carbon arrow I would recommend getting raw shafts and when you get them cut and fletched have 1 1/2" cut from the nock end first and the remainder from the point end. If all carbon arrows are out of spec it is usually at the ends and often at the nock end. Cutting this off allows for a much straighter arrow when completed.

So now that I've given you some information and got your head spinning I'll give you something else to think about. How about getting a feltching jig, some Fletchtite Platinum, some vanes, and start doing your own? Then you can have an end product just the wy you want it.

By the way, I could get into more technical stuff, but don't feel the need. And I don't know everything about every arrow. Goodness, man, who do you know that has the money to buy and shoot them all?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:34 AM

Sorry BG I was not trying to wear you out, or overwhelm you. And to answer your question, I don't know anyone with that kind of money, thats why I am trying to not make any mistakes when I buy my new arrows. I'll get the best thing I can, now, to"cover" my current situation , but something that will also fit the future when I can raise my draw weight back up some. But I may never go back to shooting 70 + lbs.

But I do appreciate your kindness towards helping me.

Deer hunters are good people.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike,

No apologies necessary. You're not wearing me out or even close. I'm actually enjoying this.

Quick Reply: proper arrow spine info - relisted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.