Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How Heavy Should My Arrows Be?

Old 09-19-2006, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Heavy Should My Arrows Be?

Your in fine shape , if your arrows all hit the same spot . Chuck adams had a great artical on this , know your range and where your arrow is going , a faster set of arrows that arnt as accurate are a big disadvantage . Speed does not equal accuracy . Use a cut on contact quality fixed head and you will be fine , make sure its scary sharp .

Straightarrow is right on .
Ive seen Ted Nugent kill a moose at 50 lbs draw , and a zebra at 55 lbs draw , with magnus 2 blade heads , nither animal went 100 yards after the shot .
Old 09-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JimPic

ORIGINAL: MaddSkillz

Speed equals power.
How's that gum-o-flage taste?If you bought that speed equals power,I know you bought gum-o-flage.
I found this very amusing
Old 09-19-2006, 04:40 PM

hey man i shoot 61lb and the guy that set-up my bow said i need to multiply that by five which gives me 305 grain ,that my arrow can't go below in weight. i shoot a arrow weighing 20 grains over the 305 number and get 299-300 fps which equal somewhere in the ball park of 64 kenetic energy. i think that isenough kenetic energy that kill in animal in north america. seems like you can get good kenetic energy with light or heavy arrows, but with lighter arrow you could get more speed and a flatter trajectory.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: ropedawg

hey man i shoot 61lb and the guy that set-up my bow said i need to multiply that by five which gives me 305 grain ,that my arrow can't go below in weight. i shoot a arrow weighing 20 grains over the 305 number and get 299-300 fps which equal somewhere in the ball park of 64 kenetic energy. i think that isenough kenetic energy that kill in animal in north america. seems like you can get good kenetic energy with light or heavy arrows, but with lighter arrow you could get more speed and a flatter trajectory.
Problem with the light arrow is that if it hits heavy bone, it's going to stop whereas the heavier arrow may break through. Given equal amounts of KE, I'll take the heavier, slower, more accurate arrow every time. Actually, I'll even take the heavier arrow if it has slightly less KE.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pastor,

I think you'll be just fine with what you have.

I rebuttal to a couple of other posts about the peed vs KE argument, I want to say that I am basically a speed freak and I can usually tinker and tweak almost every available fps out of my bows. One reason is a like tinkering and I know how to get the speed.

However, I hunt whitetail deer and it takes little to nothing to blow right through them unless you hit solid bone.

Pastor here is talking about hunting elk, and I would certainly give up some speed to maintain a little more moentum in the arrow. Notice I said momentum, not kinetic energy. I could care less what numbers are achieved with the chronograph and calculator. And the elk doesn't either.

I know this might start some debate, but I'm basing my statements on over 32 years of hunting with compound bows. Back when I shot about a 450 grain arrow at the then average speed of 180-190 fps (get your calculators out boys) and got complete pass throughs on deer then.

There were and still are a lot of guys shooting recurves doing much the same, and on animals as big as elk. With half the KE you guys are discussing.

So my point is that it's nice to know the bow speed and kinetic energy, but losing sleep over it or going out and buging the latest and greatest gadget to gain more doesn't prove a damned thing---especially in the hunting territory.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:16 AM

ORIGINAL: ropedawg
i shoot a arrow weighing 20 grains over the 305 number and get 299-300 fps which equal somewhere in the ball park of 64 kenetic energy. i think that isenough kenetic energy that kill in animal in north america.
You couldn't pay me enough to shoot a grizzly with that arrow, at least not without a very good rifle shooter backing me up. Besides, I believe it's illegal on griz most places they're found. I wouldn't even think of using anything less than 700-800 grains out of a 70 lb draw bow. If I was shooting even more draw weight, I'd be using an even heavier arrow. For really big game, I'd want to be around 12-15 grains per lb of draw weight. 5 grains per lb at a Griz! How fast can you run?
Old 09-20-2006, 05:01 AM

i didn't think about a grizzly!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Go to this link and read everything. Start on the bottom of the page (earliest) and work up the pageto the latest update. Keep in mind that this is work done on the heaviest, toughest animals on earth. An arrow/broadhead that penetrates 15" in a Cape Buffalo isn't even going to slow down when going through a whitetail.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=24
Old 09-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like you have a nice club Arthur. Wish I lived closer.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:09 AM

Arthur, I'm glad to see you post that link. It's something that every bowhunter should not only read, but study. There's some real good info in there, like the positive results from using extreme FOC, and the effect of tip shape on broadhead dependability. Dr. Ashby already proved that heavy is better - much better, but now he's sheading new light in other areas of arrow/broadhead performance.