Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Peep Tubing and Speed

Old 09-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Site Bouncer

Default Peep Tubing and Speed

I was tinkering with my bow at my local proshop today and decided to perform a little experiment. Right now I am using a tubed peep sight (Pro view) I like the tubed style because they never let me down. I have in the past used a Shurz-A-Peep with good results but always went back to the tube style. These are the only two style of peeps I have ever used as I want to be sure I will be able to make a shot when it counts.

Anyway, a buddy of mine I was shooting withasked me if I liked "loosing all that speed" using that style peep, I told him it didn't bother me in the least and I didn't think it was that much to even be noticeable. He begged to differ saying it slowed my bow down 5-10fps, I said "B.S." and decided to compare them as I still have a few Shurz-A-Peepsin my tackle box.

I first chorno'd my bow as is with tube peep.
31in draw 70lb Beman ICS 340 camo hunter 476gr arrows.......266fps

I then switched out the Pro View peep with a Shurz-A-Peep 3 strand 3/16 opening.

Re- shot it through the same Chronograph no more than 10 min. later.
31in draw70lb exact same arrows..........266fps

I didn't gain not one singleFPS of speed.

Is this typical?I don't know, I only did this with my bow but I will say I find it very hard to believe the 5-10fps loss that I have always heard.

On another note. I left the Shurz-A-Peep on and finished out the day shooting with it. I my just leave it on, I shotwell with it (after re-sighting) and I know I will always have apeep to look through at the moment of truth.

Food for thought, thanks for reading.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:30 AM

Default RE: Peep Tubing and Speed

bigj, i'll let you know what's going on if you agree to come play left tackle for the panthers.

ah, ok, try a smaller peep that weighs less and only splits it in to 2 sections.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Site Bouncer

Gibblet,

I only played guard in the NFL but I played all three front line positions in college, so left tackle wouldn't be a problem..........however, playing at 41 years old would be.

As for the two strand peeps, I have basic strings on my bow, (Dynaflite 97 string and 450 plus cable)so I don't want to chance my peep not rotating into positionwhen I need it to. Right now is seems pretty stable but I'm not willing to risk it. Becides I'mnot looking for any more speed it's fast enough, I was just shocked to find zero speed gain. I knew I wouldn't pick up 5-10 but I thought at least a couple....go figure.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:08 PM

Thanks for sharing your findings. It's little experiments like that that are very informative. I've been bowhunting for 14 years and I've owned 3 different bows. All of them were equipped with 3-strand 3/16 peep sights. They've never let me down so I've never bothered trying anything else. When looking at bows equipped with tube-style peeps, I always think that those tubes make noise upon string release. Is this true?
Old 09-18-2006, 02:34 PM

I bet you might see a couple of fps difference with a smaller peep. Will it make that much of a difference? Probably not. 5-10fps doesn't really mean jack during hunting conditions.
The thing I really hate about tube peeps is the slapping sound they make upon release. I have not seen one tube peep that was as quiet as a non-tube peep. Plus, the one time I got slapped in the face with the tube was enough to make me hate them. [&:]
Old 09-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: FLOutlander

Thanks for sharing your findings. It's little experiments like that that are very informative. I've been bowhunting for 14 years and I've owned 3 different bows. All of them were equipped with 3-strand 3/16 peep sights. They've never let me down so I've never bothered trying anything else. When looking at bows equipped with tube-style peeps, I always think that those tubes make noise upon string release. Is this true?
In all honesty, it probably made slightly more noise with the tubing but I have never had a problem with it hunting. I don't think it makes a difference either way.

Like I said I have used both exclusively and both worked just fine. With the tubing style I changed my tube twice a year, once before hunting season and right after. I have never had one break and the newer silicone tubes are far better than the old laytex style.

The 3 strand Shurz-A-Peep 3/16 opening is not a big peep at all and it will always allow you to see your pins....always even if one of the strands happen to line up right in your view you will still be able to see your pins.

NowI must admit my 41 year old eyes are still 20/20so I'm sure that helps.

Nothing wrong with two strandpeeps especially with top quality strings but not everyone has, nor wants to, spend the money on top quality strings.Still even with top quality strings there is no gaurantee that your peep won't move.

Most bows come brand new withless than "top quality" strings and cables, so you would almost have to buy new strings to replace the new strings....that you haven't even shotand in the process spend another $100.00 plus dollarson top of the truck load of money you just spent to buy that"brand new" bow......justso you could use a two strand peep?

To each his/her own I guess, me I just as soonput on a tube style peep or a three strand tubelesspeepand go hunt.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:35 AM

I don't give a hoot about speed, so any differences wouldn't mean anything to me. However, you should try to remember to change the tubing every year. It tends to get brittle and break. When it does, you risk your 20/20 vision if it hits you in the eye.