Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blazers or Duravanes?

Old 09-15-2006, 05:13 AM

Default RE: Blazers or Duravanes?

If you are shooting a Whisker Bisquit, the Duravanes hold up better, but if not the Blazer seem to group better and fly straighter for me
Old 09-15-2006, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

I was a little bit of a doubting Thomas at first, and though I love 4" feathers, I will be hunting with the Blazers.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ditto kiddo
Old 09-16-2006, 02:46 AM

Well now, this brings up a question in my mind. I was shooting 4 inch vanes, but mounted a Whisker Biscuit and had to change. The veins would not hold up. I switched to Blazers and have been in love with them ever since..... Just took every arrow I have to my pro shop to have new Blazers installed.... AND now someone says duravanes is the only way to go with a W.B.? Is this true? But I love my blazers, right helical... they fly good.Am I missing something more accurate?
Old 09-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

I switched from Duravanes to 2" Blazers and won't go back. I have never had to replace a Blazer unless I hit it with a broadhead while practicing. I shot them w/ a WB on a previous setup and they were great.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:48 AM
bigcountry

Ok guys, I have got sucked into this. I have tried quickspins, duravanes, and waiting on some blazers. Ok, after all this for the past few years, I have gone back to good ole cheap easton 4" vanes. I honestly can't see what the big deal was. In fact with a RH, quick spins where horrible. And I wasn't willing to try them again straight. I might see some benefit for quickspins with shoot thrus. I shot my broadheads at 40yards, and couldn't see the difference. Maybe blazers will surprise me and wow me.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

AND now someone says duravanes is the only way to go with a W.B.? Is this true? But I love my blazers, right helical... they fly good.Am I missing something more accurate?
I don't think so. The savage duravane is supposed to work well with w.b. Duravane also makes the higher profilr stiffer vane in an assorment of sizes and colors. The duravane is more reliable weight wise than the blazer IMO. The savage 4" is just 9 grns. That aint bad for a full size vane of that stiffness. The blazers I've weighed were 19 total (6+ per).

If you like them why change?
Old 09-16-2006, 08:12 PM

If you are shooting a WB, then the blazers are the only way to go. Regular Duravanes are soft and don't hold up as weel in the biscuit as the blazer does. I haven't tried the savage vanes and I probably won't because I love the blazers through the WB. All my students in my archery club who shoot the WB also use the blazers. They demand them, so they must work very well.

Bones1768
Old 09-16-2006, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: stratofisher1

If you shoot a drop away rest the Blazers are about tops with good stabilization. If you shoot a traditional contact rest you may want to stick with the duravanes as getting clearance with the larger vanes is an issue. I shoot the Blazers on the Trophy taker rest and have no issues. They shoot well. I have a buddy that had a NAP rest of traditional style that could never get the vanes to stop interfering and had to go back to the lower profile vanes. Just a thought.
I 100% disagree. I shoot a traditional contact rest (cavalier) and use Blazer vanes. No problems what so ever. Unless you are using a terribly old set-up and cannot utilize the adjustment features on today's standard contact rests, I say switch to Blazers.